Misterpenguin4s 4 gallon dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plants came today!

img_2534518_0_048550758f17660f944938ad3a169a12.jpg

img_2534518_1_495f01db4207d21e92afe4847461b914.jpg

img_2534518_2_691b619f3f61476a45884a575a04e8b1.jpg

img_2534518_3_5a77c6a9a89baa34d65f25de99ae386a.jpg

Got a free mystery snail too. Now I just need to get driftwood and the almond leafs. I think Ill change it up a little bit after I get the manzanita branches. Im not sure if I should make it blackwater or not. What do you guys think?

it's up to you, i've not come across anyone making blackwater just for the dwarf puffers. IME, i've kept mine happy with just regular water. but if you want mimic their true habitat, then i say go ahead. i just didn't want to bother with it.

Looks great! I read through the whole thread. I can't wait to see how this turns out! I will be getting a 10 gal soon and do the same thing as you making it a biotope for some dwarf puffers.

Again, really like it! :)

The water got really dark this morning.
img_2537483_0_63b80bf01a04a0dd07eb2099e7c3a477.jpg

The driftwood has not shipped yet :( so Im waiting in that. I also think Im going to pick up some ghost shrimp soon. Im thinking about putting some java moss in here. What do you guys think?

The water got really dark this morning.

The driftwood has not shipped yet :( so Im waiting in that. I also think Im going to pick up some ghost shrimp soon. Im thinking about putting some java moss in here. What do you guys think?

Have you added the Indian almond leaves yet?
Moss would look nice with the DW

Have you added the Indian almond leaves yet?
Moss would look nice with the DW

I stuffed one leaf into the filter. The water got a lot darker but you cant really see how dark on camera. I think I might tie some moss to the DW.

Picking up the puffer today! Wasnt planning on it, but my dad randomly asked if I wanted him to take me to get a puffer today. Just did a water test and everything looks good.
Ammonia- 0
Ph- 7.8
Nitrates-10

Got the puffer today! Also got some ghost shrimps. Its hard to get a good pic of them. I got about 5-6 in there.
img_2539016_0_2aa109c2db63fa22d82b303f02546a74.jpg

img_2539016_1_49647e0384f89f5911bca265424a5d17.jpg

He is eating frozen blood worms. I watched him eat frozen blood worms at the store. I also put a bunch of snails in there so when he gets big enough to get them he will. Idk about the shrimps. I have read that he might or might not eat them. It all depends on the puffer, so Im hoping I got a nice one.

He is eating frozen blood worms. I watched him eat frozen blood worms at the store. I also put a bunch of snails in there so when he gets big enough to get them he will. Idk about the shrimps. I have read that he might or might not eat them. It all depends on the puffer, so Im hoping I got a nice one.

IME my DPs never bothered the ghost shrimps since the shrimps are bigger than them in size. you're, however, going to have a problem if you have a larger group, >10 DPs, which isn't the case here.

Heck, it might even be the other way around! I've seen ghosties get VIOLENT! :lol: I used to keep some with a male betta and they would fight him for food! Be careful with those little puffers! :)

I've never kept a single dwarf puffer with ghost shrimp, but i have with 3 dwarf puffers. Every time i put in ghosts, my DPs would surround 1 ghost at a time and kill'em like a pack of wolves. I put like 5 ghosts and they didn't even last 24 hours. The predatory coordinated attacks were actually very entertaining to watch.

i guess YMMV when it comes to fish. my DPs would never mess with the ghost shrimps. in fact if you look on youtube, there's a video where the ghost shrimp actually fight the DPs for food and won. and in my experience, i never had problem with DPs with ghost shrimps. i actually intentionally put ghost shrimps in the tank so that they can clean up the tank after the puffers. there are DPs that won't eat snails, or bloodworms, or other things that the typical DPs normally eat and vice versa. so it's really the personaility of each DP

i guess YMMV when it comes to fish. my DPs would never mess with the ghost shrimps. in fact if you look on youtube, there's a video where the ghost shrimp actually fight the DPs for food and won. and in my experience, i never had problem with DPs with ghost shrimps. i actually intentionally put ghost shrimps in the tank so that they can clean up the tank after the puffers. there are DPs that won't eat snails, or bloodworms, or other things that the typical DPs normally eat and vice versa. so it's really the personaility of each DP

I hope my DP eats snails because there is a bunch in the tank. I have not seen him go at one yet. Im hoping that he just needs to get comfortable, then he will go to town on some snails.

Back
Top Bottom