Mixed Breed Algea Eater??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 6 algea eaters from the local pet store a couple weeks ago. They were very small, but they are growing nicely. One of the 6 is different looking from the others. His body is regular color and a small spot on his head is regular color, but the area around his eyes and his "face" (if fish have a face) is a golden color. I just wonder if it was possible that the breeder bred (accidentally or purposely) a regular algea eater with a golden algea eater and this is what their offspring look like. Other than the coloring it is healthy and active. Anybody else ever seen or heard anything like this before? A penny for your thoughts.

I bought 6 algea eaters from the local pet store a couple weeks ago. They were very small, but they are growing nicely. One of the 6 is different looking from the others. His body is regular color and a small spot on his head is regular color, but the area around his eyes and his "face" (if fish have a face) is a golden color. I just wonder if it was possible that the breeder bred (accidentally or purposely) a regular algea eater with a golden algea eater and this is what their offspring look like. Other than the coloring it is healthy and active. Anybody else ever seen or heard anything like this before? A penny for your thoughts.

Algae Eaters can be:

Plecos there are lots of species

Chinese Algae Eaters which come in a silver or golden form and yes I've seen some that have odd patterns.

Otocinclus

Siamese Algae Eater

Flying Fox

Please list actual species. Latin name if you know it.

CAE are nasty. They get big and aggressive and kill other fish. AVOID them. They are not social.

The only species you should keep 6 of would be Otos. I love them, but they do best with live plants.
af81aa57156092fb589e449fbd31ca1d.jpg

If you have a lot of Algae, control your light with a timer. 6-8 hours daily is all any tank needs.

Live plants are helpful.

It sounds like you keep throwing fish in and losing them ?? Forgive me if I misread your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom