mixing salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhmuse

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have run into a few problems while mixing salt water and adding the pH buffer to it. When I have the saltwater mixture done and at the salinity that I want it, I add the buffer to it (SeaChem Reef Buffer). When I do this, it turns the water a milky white. I have also tried adding the buffer to freshwater first then mixing in the salt. The results are the same.

What suggestions do you have for keeping the water clear? Do I have to dissolve the buffer in fresh water first, then add it to the salt water?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Jake

Why are you using a PH Buffer? What is your source water (RO/DI, TAP)? What is the alk level of your source water before you add the buffer? What brand of salts are you using? Most salts have PH buffer in them already.

What is likely happening is that your water has a lot of positive hydorgen ions and as a result the buffer (perhaps Calcium Carbonate) is percipating the calcium as the ions combine with the carbonate giving of Co2.

This will result in a milky haze (all of the calcium in the solution). Generally this will settle over time - or end up as a white crustaceous deposit on the glass, etc. The molecules are too small for the filter to remove.

As stresco mentioned - you should likely measure the paramters of the water before you add the buffer.

Tom

Are you trying to raise the ALK of the newly made water? And if so, what is the current ALK level and how much do you want to raise it?

I just realized what my problem was. I needed to dissolve the pH buffer in fresh water before adding it to the salt. I am now :oops: embarrassed. Thanks for the advice.

Jake :roll:

IM still curious why the buffer. The salt mix should have the buffers needed to get your water up to PH, alk levels already.

I'm confused... we use tap water (well not city water) and we see a ph drop when doing water changes . We are using a new Oceanic salt. What exactly should we be testing the tap water for?

Back
Top Bottom