MJ 1200 upgrade BC 29 humming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone else upgrade there pump in the BC 29?

I've noticed a very very low steady hum from the MJ 1200. Not sure If it's always been that way and I just never heard it before. My thinks I'm crazy because I'll keep muting the TV going "you hear that?" "you hear that right?" she's like "yeah it sounds the same as it did before"

Hahaha maybe just me and my OCD but I swear I never heard this before. It's not loud just a low hum.

Nobody? Hmmm... I'm gonna look further into this but I believe this may be normal. I took the pump out and cleaned it with tank water. Checked impeller and everything seems ok. Just never heard it before.

I have a BC 14, no upgraded pump, but the occasional buzzing I hear on mine comes from the hood, where the light fixtures are.

MWhite said:
I have a BC 14, no upgraded pump, but the occasional buzzing I hear on mine comes from the hood, where the light fixtures are.

Hmmm... Ok. I gutted my hood and added LED's so it can't be that. It's for sure the pump. Maybe just normal. I know they sell "silent" ones but there a lot of money. It's just that this cube is in my bedroom. I always wanted a nice small saltwater tank in the bedroom.

How do you have the pump sitting? It's probably vibrating against something. Some people put mouse pads against the pump to quiet it down

Bige said:
How do you have the pump sitting? It's probably vibrating against something. Some people put mouse pads against the pump to quiet it down

I'll try that. It's suction cupped with the supplied 3 cups to the back wall.

I recently purchased the MJ 1200 for my 29 BC and I have not noticed a loud hum. However, I might not be noticing it since I have a slight trickle noise coming from the tank due to removing the bio balls. Still saving up for the Tunze 2009 and media rack from InTank.

shelby2185 said:
I recently purchased the MJ 1200 for my 29 BC and I have not noticed a loud hum. However, I might not be noticing it since I have a slight trickle noise coming from the tank due to removing the bio balls. Still saving up for the Tunze 2009 and media rack from InTank.

I wouldn't say "loud" but a quiet hum... I dunno you have to understand I have BAD OCD so I'm always checking out my tank and muting the TV asking my wife is she hears that or hears this and she always says yeah it sounds like it sounded before.

Your gonna love the Tunze 9002 and the goodies from inTank! I did some mods myself and so far I'm very pleased.

Actually you helped me out so thank you! The sound even though it wasn't loud drive me crazy. I tried something. I took the suction cups off and just have the pump resting on the bottom with a piece of filter media. And the sound has greatly reduced. It was because it was suction cupped to the tank body and that's what the sound was. I pressed my hand hard on the outside of the tank and it stopped.

So problem fixed.

:)

Oh yah, I forgot that I don't have mine suctioned to the bottom of the tank. Glad you were able to fix it! :)

Mj 1200 are complete junk they are noisy and run hot invest in a few more $ and get a better pump anything better than a mj

shelby2185 said:
Oh yah, I forgot that I don't have mine suctioned to the bottom of the tank. Glad you were able to fix it! :)

Haha! Yeah seems to have made a HUGE difference!

What MOD's are you planning for the cube? I did the flow mod where you cut the tab. I tossed the bio balls and stock filter. I use inTank media rack with level 1 media, 2 purigen and 3 live rock and chaeto. I scrapped the more of the paint off the back to make the window bigger because inTank recommends chaeto at the bottom and the light wasn't getting to it. I use the jbj LED fuge light on the back.

I also did the air hose mod to the Tunze which did wonders in the way of noise reduction and ability to better dial the in the skimmer. I also upgraded the lighting to LED's and was able to keep the stock hood and stock splash guard.

I have threads on them all if your interested or have questions PM if be more then happy to share my experiences so far with those mods.

inTank is a great company to deal with. They always got back to me via email no matter what.

All depends on the room u have !! And if you don't know there are 2 maxi jet 1200 out there one is $20 and made in china and junk the other one is around $60 and better made try bulk reef supply they carry both !! Rule of thumb u get what u pay for a $20 pump is a $20 pump

Smithcinema said:
All depends on the room u have !! And if you don't know there are 2 maxi jet 1200 out there one is $20 and made in china and junk the other one is around $60 and better made try bulk reef supply they carry both !! Rule of thumb u get what u pay for a $20 pump is a $20 pump

Ok understood put you still haven't given any suggestions. I have a bio cube 29 so it would have to be a out the size of the MJ 1200 and if memory serves me correct I think I paid 48.00 for the pump and it does give a lot better flow then stock.

So again with the room I have what pump would you suggest that isn't junk?

Would like to research this further. Every site and nano forum I've read all suggest the MJ 1200 and swear by it. inTank even sells it as an upgrade. But I'm open to others opinions.

So if you offer more it would be appreciated.

EDIT:

Thanks for the PM :)

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Haha! Yeah seems to have made a HUGE difference!

What MOD's are you planning for the cube? I did the flow mod where you cut the tab. I tossed the bio balls and stock filter. I use inTank media rack with level 1 media, 2 purigen and 3 live rock and chaeto. I scrapped the more of the paint off the back to make the window bigger because inTank recommends chaeto at the bottom and the light wasn't getting to it. I use the jbj LED fuge light on the back.

I also did the air hose mod to the Tunze which did wonders in the way of noise reduction and ability to better dial the in the skimmer. I also upgraded the lighting to LED's and was able to keep the stock hood and stock splash guard.

I have threads on them all if your interested or have questions PM if be more then happy to share my experiences so far with those mods.

inTank is a great company to deal with. They always got back to me via email no matter what.

So far the only mods I have done is remove the bio balls, swap out the stock pump w/the MJ 1200 (added a ton more flow!) and add the BC UV sterilizer. I plan on doing the same upgrades to the 2nd chamber like you did, but I'm not ready to do the light/fan upgrades yet. However, it is something I need to look into soon bc I live in FL, and I'm super nervous about the tank running hot in the Summer. So far it has done great, but I like to keep the house cool.
I saw you light upgrade...it sounds awesome! I would love to see a video of it...especially the "lightning storm". :)

Back
Top Bottom