Mollies Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ocminpin said:
GREAT NEWS!

There seem to be 7 healthy and active fish from different mothers, all different ages.......
2 Silver Mollies--Charger
4 Dalmatian Mollies--Cruella
1 Dalmatian Molly--Maggie (my first original batch of babies)

One of the little silver ones thought it would be fun to jump in the test tube while I got a water sample! The rest follow my hand on glass and nibble my fingers when I put them in the tank.

(there are 3 others that I dont think will make it)

Yay! Some good news.

Mumma.of.two said:
That's great to hear!! Was there a change when you started the marine salt?

I haven't added the marine salt yet just read up on it. Since they were responding I thought I'd wait and see what happened. I'm getting this response on just the aquarium salt.

For the first time in forever they rushed to eat and left no food within 5 min...

There are 9 left...
2 of them have bent/contorted bodies/spines because of getting caught on the filter last week and recovering once i peeled them off. Don't know what to do with them in the long run as i can't imagine someone walking into a petstore would want them.

Down to 8... Came home yesterday and found one of the previously bent ones stuck to the filter and it scales completely stripped off :-( it had a ton of spots and it was almost completely white when I found it... What a sad little death.

INTRODUCING SIX LUCKY SURVIVORS!!!!

2 Silver & 4 Dalmatian

They still act lethargic at times and lay on gravel but all are anxious hearty eaters... One may be laying on rocks and get up and swim to me when I walk by tank... Feeding twice a day...
2 PWC/ wk
Keeping solid parameters at

Let's pray they make it!

Mumma.of.two said:
always!! Rofl

She's had a few before but all were eaten because of so many in other tank.
It is really sad all these guys are gone... I found myself deleting pics because it just seemed a waste... So much work and excitement waiting for births... There wasn't even a lesson in it here! :-0

I moved one of them (mostly white Dalmatian) to a separate container with a plant to birth in... She's super super square...
This one hasn't shown any signs of illness and is very active.

Question tho-- I should keep the fry separate from any of my other fry stock, right? Could fry be sick or since mom appears healthy, the fry should be healthy too...?

The other 2 preggo ones aren't close yet...

If they look and act healthy I'd add them together personally, unless you keep it sterile between tanks (i.e. not using the same containers, nets, washing hands between tanks, etc) then there is likely cross contamination present anyway.

jetajockey said:
If they look and act healthy I'd add them together personally, unless you keep it sterile between tanks (i.e. not using the same containers, nets, washing hands between tanks, etc) then there is likely cross contamination present anyway.

I have used one net in this tank and separate in all others... I want to add the fry born into my newborn tank if thy appear as my other fry usually do.

A separate preggo female is one that lies on gravel but flies up to eat or to see me when I approach tank... She went nuts for the bloodworms this morning... Acting like my betta attacking them and devouring... I was hoping to do same with her fry...

HEYYY OMGGGG I HAD A THOUGHT on all this sickness!!

Something in common with all of these Juvie's... ALL of them were born to mothers that were treated for possible Camallanus while they were pregnant with them. My male who died was in the tank and I treated him separately and then also treated the tank females were in just in case. None of the females tho ever showed a sign of Camallanus... But were subjected to Parasite tabs and Fenbendazole before they were born! Could the meds have caused problems even tho they are all within a 6 wk old range from each other?
Hmm maybe not but a sudden thought!

Side note: no one has shown any signs of Camallanus at all nor any other parasites...

It's a possibility! Not sure what meds are in the treatment but could hve hampered their development and maybe their lungs didn't work properly.

Back
Top Bottom