Mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I picked up two mollies this weekend. A boy and a girl :p
Anybody have any helpful info on how to get these two to mate?
I have tried to get the Danios to lay eggs, didn't work. I tried to get the guppys to mate, didn't work. I am hoping my snails do, not sure yet? so, now... what about the mollies?
Thanks for the info in advance!! :wink:

Are you buying just one of each sex? If so try buying 3 females to every male, that has always worked for me. Also when choosing your females look for ones that are already pregnant. I bought a single female molly once just because she was pregnant and sure enough the very next day I had 6. :D

I have one female (she is pretty fat) and one male. So, maybe I should get two more males? Sounds like a good idea!
Do you know if they have to have special perameters to enable their breeding, like water PH or temperature, etc???
Thanks for the help! :D

Yeah I agree..nothing special is needed, just a few fish and time. I have some guppies in a 20 gal tank with no gravel a bunch of plastic plants floating free at the surface and the tank is heater less and one of my guppies just had babies. (water temp is 80 right now) I did see a site that went into great detail about parent handling, water temp & balance....blah, blah, blah. Mollies and Platties are just as easy to breed.

Mollies need to be kept 1 male to about 3 to 4 females. This helps prevent stress to just one female. Good Luck.

I have had them spawn in the bag on the way home...more the trick is making them stop. I also suggest 2-3 females for each male...otherwise the male will harass a single female pretty much to death.

I also noticed on liveaquria.com they show breeding habits(when known) in their fish listings. I specifically got only females because I didn't want breeders or aggression. Good luck!

I agree. I keep 2 females with each male. Mollies like brackish water, so keep that in mind if they start seeming lethargic or ill.

You'll have more babies than you know what to do with if you keep them happy water wise.

i wanna agree and disagree with you Crusis... mollies dont "like" brackish but you can keep them like that.. if you wanted to, with the proper acclimation you can even keep them in 100% saltwater..

That is wrong Wild Mollies are brackish water fish. Tank raised ones do fine in freshwater but I think all mollies appreciate brackish water.

Back
Top Bottom