Molly babies everywhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lmacbeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I came home last night after being away for a week to discover that one of my mollies had given birth. I thought she looked a bigger than usual recently. :roll:

There are at least 10 little ones swimming all over the place, not sure of the exact number as I get confused every time I try to count them!

Apart from them I have 3 mollies and 3 pepper cordoryas... 2 of the 3 mollies were actually born in my tank too. Now they have matured and mated with each other to produce these latest additions.

My worry is about what problems occur from a brother & sister mating? :? All the babies look fine so far.

They are all sharing the same tank at the minute. I know some may get eaten but I'll have to let natural selection take its course for now as I can't afford a new tank for while.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

What about using a breeding net to separate the babies from the larger fish? They are pretty inexpensive and readily available. The big plus is the fact that you won't require an additional tank as the breeding net goes inside your existing aquarium.

Joe

You can get a breeding net as suggested, or just let nature take it's course....I'm sure some will make it, and I'm not sure you want all the fry to survive, or soon your tank will be bursting with mollies!!!

The brother & sister mating thing, that is not recommendable, but it happens all the time. You only start seeing defects in the offspring after 20th generation of inbreeding or something.

HTH!

Back
Top Bottom