Molly birthing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would recommend all female tank. My males hve always fought, even with no females around. I actually have come to hate mollies lol but they got a few more years on them!

I would recommend all female tank. My males hve always fought, even with no females around. I actually have come to hate mollies lol but they got a few more years on them!

I recommend an all female tank too. The only problem is that the females u buy may be holding male sperm so they can get pregnant when they want to.

right, well when I was looking up research material on taking care of Mollys I misunderstood the advice that they be kept in a minimum 1M:2F ratio to mean that you HAD to have at least 1 male and 2 females. So with that noobie notion in mind I went and got a male. In hindsight, Id have all females but that ship has sailed and my TARDIS is broken.
This said, I feel that once I have my tank fully stocked up the way I want that future fry will just be snacks. I may ask my LFS's to see if they'll take any survivors.
I am kinda curious to see what kind of Molly a male Dalmation and female Golddust would make. Itd be kinda cool if they were Calico, but that might be asking too much.

Most LFS will take fry, but only after they are around 1.5 months and as donations. Live bearing fish are somewhat like cats, people want them, but there's so many available that it's hard to get anything out of them unless they are something uncommon/desireable, if that makes sense.

My LFS won't pay for anything besides my tiger Endlers, and even then they only give me .50 a piece for them when through aquabid and other sites I get $8-12 a trio.

But chances are, with the tank they are in, they'll all be eaten before they get to that age anyways because Mollies and platy's, actually all livebearers have voracious appetites.

To answer one of your previous questions, my Endlers tend to give birth over the coarse of about 3 days, so Mollies could most definitely take as long/longer if they wanted to. They can also drop a couple and then decide to hold the rest for a while longer if they get stressed or just feel like it isn't safe out there for the fry (even though the mom's will end up trying to eat them anyways)

Fry are also sexable at around 2 weeks, I'd seperate them as soon as you can tell the difference, inbreeding with livebearers causes a good Amt. of difformities. Males can spawn at 1.5 months and females are able to hold that semen even if they can't drop fry till around 3 months.

More useful and interesting info. Thank you.

For now I'm just scrutinizing the tank and poking at the gravel to see what appears. I really can't imagine what would be causing a guarded delivery. Water is good and they certainly do not appear stressed. Who can explain the mind of a fish....?

I've noticed that mine do it when they don't have enough hiding spaces. They like to stay hidden during delivery to avoid other fish picking on them. Imagine what you'd feel like having a baby and you've got all sorts of people trying to get you to get out of that bed and go run around with them. It'd be a real pain. That's the best "metaphor" type deal I can come up with.

I also notice that if there are more aggressive type fish they try to hold longer. My Endlers refuse to drop while in the presence of my betta girls. I know bettas aren't the most aggressive ever, but they sure do like to make it known who the boss is, aka them.

Even something as simple as a lot of traffic outside the tank can cause them to be stressed enough to not want to drop.

Even though you don't really care if the fry survive, it might be in the mothers best interest to give them some cover to help them relax. Even some floating plastic plants and a couple pieces of driftwood or caves would work. I always pull the moms when i see them squaring off, which the one in the picture definitely is, if i care to save the fry, and put them into seperate critter keepers with a ton of java moss and frogbit for them and the fry to hide in so they aren't out in the open and feel more secure. They usually drop fully within 2 days of placement there, and generally within 6 hours. The 2-3 days I mentioned earlier was when I don't pull them.

Hmmmm... I suppose I could get some fake plants and see how that works out. Otherwise, the only place like you describe is in the 45 gallon main tank.

Hmmmm... I suppose I could get some fake plants and see how that works out. Otherwise, the only place like you describe is in the 45 gallon main tank.

Mollies also like giving birth near a warm spot like near a heater. If you get fake plants, put a bunch in a corner and the mollies will go over there to seek shelter.

right, well when I was looking up research material on taking care of Mollys I misunderstood the advice that they be kept in a minimum 1M:2F ratio to mean that you HAD to have at least 1 male and 2 females. So with that noobie notion in mind I went and got a male. In hindsight, Id have all females but that ship has sailed and my TARDIS is broken.
This said, I feel that once I have my tank fully stocked up the way I want that future fry will just be snacks. I may ask my LFS's to see if they'll take any survivors.
I am kinda curious to see what kind of Molly a male Dalmation and female Golddust would make. Itd be kinda cool if they were Calico, but that might be asking too much.

Lol nice doctor who reference

Dont let it be said that I dont do anything for my fish. ;)
Think this will help things along?

Attachments

• QT1.jpg
    QT1.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 51
  • QT2.jpg
    QT2.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 56
I'll be happy if its now a tank the Mollys will now give birth in.
I don't like the plants in there. Makes it more difficult to inspect my fish for problems. The Serpae took to hiding in there right away.

I'll be happy if its now a tank the Mollys will now give birth in.
I don't like the plants in there. Makes it more difficult to inspect my fish for problems. The Serpae took to hiding in there right away.

Plants do make it harder to see the fish but when the mollies want to give birth, it'll be even harder to find them because they like total privacy when giving birth.

I just finished the weekly PWC/maintenance of the main tank and found the fry that I tossed in there almost a week ago still very much alive :lol: And thriving it would seem... he was kind of clearish grey before and now he's black and I think a tad larger (though still tiny). He was hiding under the moss ball of all places. I thought for sure one of the tetras in the tank snapped it up when I first put it in there, but apparently he got away.
I cant wait until i can get my Bumblebee cats. Im petty sure they wouldve rooted it out and taken care of it by now. (y)

I just finished the weekly PWC/maintenance of the main tank and found the fry that I tossed in there almost a week ago still very much alive :lol: And thriving it would seem... he was kind of clearish grey before and now he's black and I think a tad larger (though still tiny). He was hiding under the moss ball of all places. I thought for sure one of the tetras in the tank snapped it up when I first put it in there, but apparently he got away.
I cant wait until i can get my Bumblebee cats. Im petty sure they wouldve rooted it out and taken care of it by now. (y)

Is the lfs out of stock of bumble bee cats or are you just waiting to have time to go? I'm surprised the fry is still alive! Wow!

There's a Petsmart that "stocks" them. I use the quotes because they haven't actually had any in at least two months.
The more specialized aquarium store doesn't typically stock them, but has offered to order them when they are available. They aren't bred in captivity, so I'll probably have to wait until after spawning season. The owner thinks they spawn around July/August.... So it may be a while. I've found them online, but just the shipping alone is more than I'm willing to spend. =P

There's a Petsmart that "stocks" them. I use the quotes because they haven't actually had any in at least two months.
The more specialized aquarium store doesn't typically stock them, but has offered to order them when they are available. They aren't bred in captivity, so I'll probably have to wait until after spawning season. The owner thinks they spawn around July/August.... So it may be a while. I've found them online, but just the shipping alone is more than I'm willing to spend. =P

The petsmart near me is stocked with them. I never really thought about getting them though.

Back
Top Bottom