Molly Swimming Vertically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauren Pauly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm starting up a 23 gallon freshwater aquarium, and in January purchased three Colombian tetras, which are perfectly healthy. I made sure the water quality was perfect, then purchased a Dalmatian Molly and a Blue Grommi at my local fish store. The grommi has been very good, and I poured the recommended dosage for Nitromax concentrated bacteria over my biofilter. The Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all at 0. The pH is 8.0, however my fish don't seem to be bothered. Tonight I noticed my Dalmatian Molly flipping randomly into a vertical position, while trembling. I did some research and discovered that, no, my fish is not pregnant because my fish is male. Whew! However I have yet to discover any articles that describe and solve my problem. Again, I know for a fact that this fish is male, and all fish have been doing great. He doesn't outwardly show signs of illness, and water levels are perfect. I keep the tank at 75 degrees ferenheit. Thank you for your time and I hope that some of you can give me some answers! Have a great day,
Lauren Pauly

If your Nitrates are at zero your tank is not cycled.

If you are using test strips, get a liquid test kit. If you are using the kit make sure you are shaking vials and following directions.

Test tap and tank water.

Anytime I get a fish that looks off I do a water change. How often are you changing water and how much water ?

A 23g is very small for a Blue Gourami IME. They get 6"
They are similar to Bettas because each one may have a different temperament. Some get quite aggressive and will kill other fish. Some are peaceful except to other Gouramis.

Watch your Columbians, they are known fin nippers and may end up harassing any long finned fish.

I'm sorry you Molly is ill. I always think water quality first. Mollies are fine in higher PH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I am using a liquid test kit, and I have seen my molly chase the Colombians quite a bit. Is that a sign that they're hurting each other? I have 3 tetras, and one is slightly bigger than the others. He is a little bit of a bully (chases the others around sometimes), but I have never seen or had issues with fin nipping. I think the molly put the larger tetra in his place, because now the tetra sometimes gets chased around, but again there has not been any fin nipping. The tetras have hardly interacted with my blue gourami, so nothing is really going on there.

I do water changes once a month, and when I do them I also put in the same concentrated bacteria as well as a tap water conditioner. I change 20-30% of the water in the tank. Where I live, we have water high in calcium, very hard water. I have heard of getting filtered water, like the large jugs you buy at the store to replace our tap water. Do you think that is reasonable or do you have a different suggestion?

The Molly is swimming normally this morning, however I am still concerned.

Also, I have a dwarf gourami, not a three spot blue gourami. So sorry that I had failed to mention that earlier! He is very peaceful and interacts well with the other fish.

Again, thank you for your time, and I look forward to reading your suggestions. Thanks!

Lauren Pauly
:fish1::thanks:

High PH is fine for the Molly. It's a bit high for your other fish, but most aquarium fish adapt. Messing with it, unless you are precise and plan to keep a lower PH long term is not necessary and bouncing your PH up and down is bad for your fish.

You could add driftwood to tank or peat to your filter, but I'd avoid any sudden changes. You may want to add 2-3 more Columbians later.

As long as no damage is done, a bit of chasing is fine.

Adding some real or fake plants may help break up the chasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any Other Suggestions?

Thanks so much! I will definitely consider adding in some driftwood, and I've already got some plastic plants and a large water feature in the tank. May I ask, why do you suggest more tetras? Are they schooling fish or do they act better with more of their species? Just curious! Anyway, thanks so much for all the time and advice you've given me. I will definitely take your ideas into consideration. Again, I would love to hear any more suggestions for the tank!
Thanks again,
Lauren Pauly

Back
Top Bottom