Molly with a growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieGrrrl

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

One of my two adult calico mollies seems to have some sort of fungus or growth on her belly fins (sorry, dunno exact terms). She's not swimming around as much as her sister and when she turned to swim left, I noticed an odd yellow bubble on the underside of her fin.

sickmolly.jpg

I have a terrible camera, but the large white splotch seems to be the other side of the bubble growth. You can see the back lower fin is pretty clear, nothing wrong with that one, but the rest of the two lower fins seem kind of coated or caked with something that doesn't allow them to flow freely or move independently.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia is 0, Ites are 0, Ates are approx 20ppm, 82 degrees.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

36 gallon tank, been up since Christmas.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

I use a canister filter, an Eheim 2213.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

A pleco, approx 3.5"
2 algae eaters, approx 1"
3 cats, approx 1.5"
2 adult mollies, about 3" each, with tail
2 adult swordtails, about 4" each with tail
2 dwarf gouramis, about 2"
3 second generation mollies, about 1.25"
1 third gen molly, .5"
1 second gen sword, .5"

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Last weekend, approx 40%. It's been about a month and a half since I removed all decorations and vaccuumed completely. Planned on doing it again today, but got sick and stayed in bed.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

The first group of fish I got from a crappy pet store all died in a week. This fish is one of the original second groups. Approximately 4 months old.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Only the algae eaters, since brown algae was getting out of hand. Nothing else.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Same food I've been feeding them since the beginning. I rotate through several kinds of food to give some variety, but none have given the fish any problems.

I assume that this fish isn't long for the tank. She's had a good run and she mothered some fry, so I won't be totally devastated, but just wondered if it was something specific to her or something that could spread. No other fish appear to have the same thing on their fins, even her sister is a-ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)[/img]

I'm just guessing that the molly has a tumor :( . There probably nothing you can do for it.

Is it a cottony growth? Or just a lump on the fin?

If it's cottony, sounds like a fungus. But...often times if it's just a lump, its a tumor. They will somtimes heal themselves. Sometimes stay as they are. Sometimes spread and kill the fish. And there isn't much you can do about it.

The lump itself looks like a tumor, but the caked stuff around it looks like frayed cotton.

Do you think it advisable to remove her from the tank?

Okay, new development - all the fins on her belly are frayed and look about half the length they were.

What the heck is going on? She seems so sad :(

If you have a hospital tank, you may want to consider moving her and trying a salt bath. If things don't clear in about a week or so you might be out of luck.

Back
Top Bottom