moment of panic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I moved my fish from my 20 gal to my freshly cycled 50 gallon last night. I was SO excited for them to have all that room and play in the sand. I easily caught my snails and Gourami - I feed the Gourami by hand and they are very curious (suckers! :biglol:).

Then I went to net my six Cory Cats. I have never had to net my fish before. I had what I thought was a very nice net that I had purchased when I first bought the fish. The material was smooth and soft. One of my CC's got his fin caught in the net! Poor little guy - he was probably calmer than I was. I tried to back his fin out of the net, but it was almost like a thorn that cannot go backwards. I finally just cut very carefully around his fin to release him. That net is going in the trash and I'll pick up something different. I thought I was buying a nice net that would be safer for my fish. Ugh!!!

On the up side - everyone is in the 50 and doing well. The snails didn't even seem to notice the move - they went right to exploring. The CC's hid for a bit at first, but are out and about and eating now. The Gourami didn't seem to mind the ride in my hand from the drip bucket to the new tank LOL (the net was trash by then). Tame little things!

Glad the lil guy is ok.

I had fun moving our pictus cats from the 55 into the 120. One of them jumped out of the bowl before I could get the lid on it. (can't use nets because of those spiky pectoral fins) he landed spiky fin first into my foot. Yep, I got catfished! It hurt like a SOB. Darn thing was flopping on my foot, stuck in by it's fin. My fiance got it off of me and I had a nice bloody hole in the top of my foot. But the worst of it was the itching. Some catfish have a "poison" and I had trouble for weeks. It has now almost fully healed, I just have a hard blister over the wound site.

OUCH!! Glad you are ok!

My little guy was so good while I was trying to get him unhooked. I am glad they are in their big tank and don't have to be moved again!!

I got a new net today and picked up five Boesemani Rainbows - aclimating them right now. Hopefully they'll like their new home. The LFS is going to order some Emerald Green Cory Cats for me - need to call them Wednesday to see if they came in!:D

A rinse in vinegar and soak in hot water will cure any swelling and pain brought on by carfish barbs. Try to use a linen cloth sowed onto the frame of a net to net spiny fish.

A rinse in vinegar and soak in hot water will cure any swelling and pain brought on by carfish barbs. Try to use a linen cloth sowed onto the frame of a net to net spiny fish.

Thanks - I'll try the linen cloth next time. I was so worried I was going to hurt the little guy!

Back
Top Bottom