Mono Argentus & 72 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

no_fin_nipping

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw a tank at a doctor's office and I want to copy it. It was a 72 gallon bowfront with what I later found out were Mono Argentus, six of them. At first glance, I was thinking Silver Dollars, but I realized they weren't in a few seconds.
I've already been to my LFS, they don't have any in stock. They can get me six for $20 each that are about 2" to 2.25". Right now the supply is sort of limited. They told me they could get 1" fish for about $10 each, but they think they are too immature. They told me in a few weeks they probably could get some of those 1" fish sized 1.5" for the same $10 each, so I should wait.
They get to 10" I am told. I suppose a 72 gallon bowfront is about the smallest one can get away with for these fish. The ones I saw were 6-8", not quite fully mature.
Looking on the web, I see some have two stripes, one right at the eye, one slightly behind the first, others I see no stripe.
These fish slightly remind me of Angelfish too. I know Angelfish have been bred to all sorts of varieties. Is this true for Monodactylus argenteus as well?
I've been keeping fish a long time, but really basic and simple stuff, with good success. This will be my first wow tank, though for many this still may be a yawn tank. I hope I'm up to it.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Monodactylus argenteus do get to be 10" max and IMO a 72 gal would be too small for a school (I'm not sure on the dimensions of a 72 bow though).

I think monos move from freshwater>brackish>marine (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so you would have to take that into consideration. I don't have experience with them, so I'm not too sure how difficult they are to keep.

If you could find a 125 gal thats cheap, then that would be better.

Good luck if you decide to try them out.

I had both the Mono Sebae and Argentes. they are truely brackish water fish, however most are breed in and transported in freshwater condition. This is fine as they are young, but as they get older they have to be switched to brackish as this can cause stress and health issues. they all must be introduced to an aquarium at the same time and preferably as juviniles as they can become very terroritorial. Their growth rate is moderate, and they will get to 10 inches, however most don't get that big in a captive enviornment. typically about 8" is the size they get. Fun fish with a personality. The bigger the tank the better, but I think that a 72 gallon might be a little on the small side for a school that big.

72 Bow Tank 48x18x22 $550 with stand, cover, light
120 Long Tank 60x18x26 $800 with stand, cover, light
120 High Tank 48x24x24$600 with stand, cover, light
90 Gallon Tank 48x18x24 $450 with stand, cover, light
75 Gallon Tank 48x18x20 $400 with stand, cover, light (maybe not such a good value, but with the same surface area, maybe not that much less capacity?)

The 90 would be more in keeping with my budget anyway... I will say the 72 gallon bow looked sharp!

Back
Top Bottom