Monster Crypts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The true rabbit of crypts, I love it! Hopefully my lucens will take off like that sooner or later. I think i need to give it more room or move it to my other tank but it way too crowded in there.

Where was I when you traded them off! ;) just kidding, I simply don't have room for more plants and I think my selection is doing pretty good. Maybe if I get a 20 here pretty soon.

I really like that C. parva Zezmo, beautiful condition. And the other Crypts are all excellent specimens too :)

I've got a couple of pics of Crypts that I would consider fairly large. The best thing about Crypts, IMHO, is that if you give them plenty of room, feed them well, and prune the old leaves regularly, they will just keep growing and growing :p

This is picture of C. wendtii 'Tropica' that I pulled out of my tank because it was smothering my Glosso :lol:. For reference, the plate it's sitting on is over a foot in diameter:

Tropica_070505_x800.jpg

And this is a C. wendtii 'Green Gecko' that I got to epiphytically attach to a large chunk of lace rock in my tank. It's about two years old and continues to get more robust:

Cryptocoryne_wendtii_Green_Gecko_190306_x800.jpg

czcz: I like spooky tanks too--the weedier the better. If I can see a fish, something is wrong. :D

Glenc: Watch for lightning strikes on that thing-SWEET LORD!

Wizzard~Of~Ozz: You could make a hedge maze out of that crypt! Yikes!!

Zezmo: I think people who are really good with plants are very, very patient. The rows and rows on the counter look like a delicious-plant showroom.

Travis: Yours make me want to fix a big, huge salad.

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L, everyone. I was lucky enough to get a...well not little, but comparitively small...red one from fish_4_all that has withstood my manhandling and is starting to thrive. I heart crypts.

I don't remember which one but I think it was a Red Wendtii. You will know if the leaves are ruffled at all. Sorry, both Wendtii and Becketti are ruffled :oops: Anyway, I don't think I sent anyone Becketti except Lone so I think you are safe.

My Red Wendtii is becoming a total monster and I like the advice about getting rid of the old leaves. I am always afraid to trim it because I don't want it to melt on me. I think it is about time to put mine on a no root tab diet!

About Lucens and Parva, does anyone know if they need or prefer wide open to spread out and thicken up? Mine grew good until it became like 8 full plants then stunted. I have since seperated them in the hopes they will really grow out fuller and stronger.

I had sent a couple crypts to members in here that arrived to them in pretty good shape. When I pulled them from my tank, I couldn't believe how long some of the roots were, lol. I pulled a parva from my 10G and moved it to my low light 5.5G, and the roots were half waay across the tank, lol. I thought swords had big roots, but the crypts make them look small, lol.

As for the no root tab diet, not sure I'd do that, lol.

Could you imagine if I was using Flourish root tabs or those others from Aquariumplants! I am just using a simple iron tab and I get that kind of growth.

I also have some Lucens that is taking over the Becketti from out of nowhere! I moved the Lucens and then two new Lucens plantlets show up in the middle of the becketti!

This is a plant that could easily take over an ecosystem in a hurry.

Cool, hehehe.....

When it comes to tax time, when I get my return, I may get another cheap 55G from Walmart and do a low-light crypt tank. I'm getting some melting leaves on my beckettii in my high light, might also be because I'm not trimming off old growth?

Back
Top Bottom