Montipora Digitata Turned Brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schgred

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently moved my tank from one room of my house to another. All of the corals did fine except one colony of purple montipora digitata. Ironically I have two colonies, one larger and one smaller frag that was originally a part of the larger colony. Ever since the move the larger colony browned out whereas the smaller one stayed purple.

I recently changed lights. I was running a reef capable led with an extra 24" strip of 1 watt actinic lighting (innovative marine Skkye strip). I recently changed my lighting to an Ocean Revive Arctic S026 led light which is a much more powerful full spectrum fixture.

I have noticed in just over 3 days that the smaller monti is looking even more purple than before whereas the larger looks the same.

What are the chances that the color comes back to the larger colony? How long does it usually take if it is happy and receiving the light it needs?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389410360.895074.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389410378.117004.jpg

The only 2 reasons that SPS corals brown out are poor lighting or the water being nutrient rich, aka too much phosphates in the water. Since you have one well colored and another not, I would want to try to get the other colony some more light and see if it colors up in a month.

What's interesting is that they are at the same height in the tank. Is it possible to stress sps by moving it?

Sure, drastic change in flow and lighting can stress them to such a level. Most likely it is lighting as flow will only cause polyps not to extend until content.

If it is in good conditions will it re-color? And if so, how long?

Back
Top Bottom