More Filtration, More Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishilover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering if I was to put an extra filter on my 37g tank if I could then overstock it a bit. :? It's kinda a dumb question :oops: but I was just wondering.
Thank you

If you keep up on your water changes an extra filter will give you that option depending on the fish you plan on keeping. No such thing as a dumb question btw, just one that you don't know the answer to yet.

The best thing the extra filter adds in extra surface area for the bacteria to grow on. You can acheive this other ways as well.

i think it wont be too much of a problem especially if your getting fish that dont add to your bioload significantly like messy eaters or fish that will outgrow your tank and be too big to be confortable//

This will work to an extent, but there is only so much bio load a tank can handle. That said, some of my tanks are overstocked according to the 1 inch per gallon rule. I think it will be ok, just don't go nuts. :wink:

Besides filtration, you have other things to keep in mind. Do your fish have enough room to swim around in? An over crowded tank could cause your fish to fight amongest each other. And with no place to hide, could cause stress and disease.

I personally don't believe in overstocking a tank even if you have additional filtration. A lot could happen, especially now that we entering the colder seasons.

Back
Top Bottom