more gourami questions :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themagpie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Another set of gourami questions :roll: . Today I noticed the gouramis (2 opaline) weren't swimming around as much. They both have been hanging around the middle/bottom of the tank in/around hiding areas. They seem to be swimming around much less than before. Another strange thing is that about half of the time they stay still very close side by side (the smaller/agressive one usually doesn't let this happen and starts chasing the bigger one whenever theyre that close). It even seems like they're being 'friendly'. Occasionally the smaller one will give the bigger one a little nudge while perpendicular to it (big one seems to be ok with this). Another strange thing I noticed was that the agressive one has some small dark areas along the ridge of its bottom fin (looks like it may be nipping, but i watch the tank around 3/5 or the day and havent observed any). It also seems like the large one has lost some of its darker colours. I was curious, so I turned off the tank light a little earlier. Soon afte the lights were off the gouramis started swimming around more and the aggressive one went back to its regular territorial chasing routine. Any ideas as to what is going on here?

tia,
magpie

Have you tested your water parameters lately? A water change may perk them up. Fish colors will change somewhat during the day.

The areas that are dark on your opaline, do they look like torn fins or just darker fins? I have 3 Opaline gourami's and each one of them has different spots with different shades of darkness/lightness.

I find my opalines to be rather shy and skittish quite a lot. I've had them over a year. If your water parameters are good and your fish aren't attacking each other I would try turning off the lights a bit more throughout the day and watch them closely.

Tested the water yesterday afternoon and everything is fine. I also did a water change monday night. The colours did change shortly after my post : ). Im guessing it was a torn fin, because I was checking them today and the darkness along the fin is gone. They're peaceful for the most part when they aren't swimming together but if they're close alot of really fast chasing goes on. Is this attacking? I was under the impression (from my sexing gouramis post) that they're opposite sexes. I'd read that males and females do quite well together. Is this uncommon behaviour?

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals testkit
pH = 7.0
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 20 ppm
Temp is usually 78-80 F

Not uncommon behaviour at all. Mine do that as well. They tend to be a bit skittish IME. When they are attacking you can see them nipping at each other. Are they making contact while chasing?

They occasionally make contact (maybe even accidentally), but its usually just a little nudge from the side while they're parallel. Nothing really violent looking.

themagpie said:
They're peaceful for the most part when they aren't swimming together but if they're close alot of really fast chasing goes on. Is this attacking? I was under the impression (from my sexing gouramis post) that they're opposite sexes. I'd read that males and females do quite well together. Is this uncommon behaviour?
That's very common, which is why I recommend multiple females per male.

Time to take a trip to the LFS! Thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom