More LS for my 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright Just wondering my tanks has been establish for about 2months now.... Am i able to add more Substrate to my tank... Obvisously I would have to remove the fish? If I do for how long?

If ur adding live sand i wouldnt remove anything

You won't have to remove the fish, just be careful. I add sand by putting it in a bowel and slowly let it fill up with water and move it to the bottom of the tank and then pour it out.

They will be just fine. I would suggest using dry non-live sand. The "LS" you buy in bags is not as live as you may think...

I have done it several times just as Roka has said. A cup or bowl works fine. Just take your time in doing it and the "sand storm" will be minimal

They will be just fine. I would suggest using dry non-live sand. The "LS" you buy in bags is not as live as you may think...

I have done it several times just as Roka has said. A cup or bowl works fine. Just take your time in doing it and the "sand storm" will be minimal
Cool... Casue I only added about 30LB of sand I want to add another 30LBs if thats possible? and I will add the dry sand they sell a 30LB dry bag of Aragnite Sand for $19.99 at Petsmart....

That is the stuff I used in my tank and where I got it from too.

LOL... Hey we got something in common we buy the same sand...:p... I saw it and i thought it was a great Deal....So i just wanted to add another bag full...

That is probably the best sand for a reef tank IMO!

Yeah I am probably going to rinse it pretty good becasue I don't want to create a hugh clown like before I don't think i cleaned it out to well.... Is there a good menthod for cleaning it really good? What do you do ziggy?

Well I put it in a 5g bucket and run a water line to the bottom of the bucket and let the water run through it for a good hour. Then I mix it up and do it again. Even after several hours of rinsing it will still cloud your water up.

The thing about putting sand in an established tank is to do it slowly and in small amounts. I use a 12oz plastic cup and literally pour the sand in the areas I want it.
After I rinse it out as best I can I put SW from my tank in the bucket so I'm not adding straight FW to the tank. I scoop up a cup full and go to work. The trick is to lower the cup or bowl slowly let it fill with water and then slowly move it into position. When you are were you want tip the cup and begin pouring. If you do it this way you will have a minimal amount of cloudiness. Oh and turn off ALL of your flow when you do this.

Just to add on, I rinsed my 30Lbs bags 6 times each and still had a cloudy tank.

I agree, I doubt even a fine screen would get it all out.....

30LB Bag

Just a quick question can i remove my LR out into a tote while I am adding more sand? (I will add it into SW) just so I could add then rescape my aquarium or should i just move it around were i am going to add?
;)

I would not unless you have to. Try using a piece of PVC pipe and just let it slide down the pipe to where it needs to go.

Keep in mind that works if the sand is dry.....

Back
Top Bottom