More neat marine findings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I saw that the other day but forgot to post it here. Thanks for the reminder and it is truly amazing.

It's great to see that new species discovery work (taxonomy) is making the press. I'm an Assistant Director at the International Institute for Species Exploration, which aims to promote taxonomic work. (Incidentally, my own research is mainly on reef fishes, particularly dottybacks. New species of dottybacks are still being discovered at the rate of 2-3 species per year - I just submitted a manuscript last week describing a new Indonesian species, and published two species earlier in the year.) There's a link to a report on one of our promotional events (Top 10 New species, and State of Observed Species (SOS)) given in the article. We are currently gearing up for our next Top 10, which will be for new species described in 2008. Once everything is in place, I'll post a thread giving details so forum members can get involved and nominate new species for the Top 10. If you want to check out the 2007 Top 10, go to our website (International Institute for Species Exploration) - incidentally, a fish species (ray) made the final cut!

Tony

Back
Top Bottom