Movable tank stand???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcsnet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone here ever put the magic sliders under their tank stand so as to be able to get behind it when space it tight???
If so what did you use?
Thanks
Don

I would be concerned over the massive weight. Unlike 99% of furnature items even a small tank of 55 gal or under is going to be several hundred pounds when full of water and while moving that much weight isnt hard with the right equipment when its water weight stopping it can become the problem. Moving also puts stress on the corners that was not inharently designed for due to this shifting of water weight.

Thanks,
It is a 58 gal 36"x18"deepx21"high, i was think of putting at least 8 of these little sliders on the bottom so the weight is distributed evenly. The movement would only be maybe sliding it forward about 10 - 12 inches, and that's only if I ever need to get back there.

I wouldn't chance it .... Everywhere I read the recommendation is never to move a full tank ..... Problem is the weight of the water and the momentum generated with the move. Your stand will stop but the water will continue to move, pushing on the glass & possibly busting a seam.

For the record I have moved a full 10 gal, but that created such a wave inside the tank that a few inches of water end up on the floor. :(

I did what you want to do about 3 years ago with a 33g and after about 1 month of moving it only a few times it began to leak. Don't do it!

58 gallon tank will be in excess of 600 lbs total weight Do not do tanks are not designed to be moved when full moving one could result in a leak or broken pane of glass-Anne

Thanks to all, I do not think it is worth the chance and I appreciate your sharing your experiences :)

Don

I moved a 37 gallon with those sliders, but I drained it down so only about 5 to 6 inches of water was in the tank. I then gently picked up each end and my helper slid the sliders under. Worked great and no damage to the tank.
Just don't try it when it's full.

if anything buy industrial casters, A friend of mine made his stand and used 4x4 post on the corners so he could drill holes in the btoom of the post to put inflatable rubber industrial casters in it and roll his tank in and out of the spot its in, I think each caster is rated for about 500 lbs and only like15 bucks a piece

Back
Top Bottom