Moving 20 Gallon across town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks,

Here's my stats, I have a 20 gallon freshwater/planted tank with one corydora, 4 neon tetras, 3 black skirt tetreas, 1 adf, 1 female betta. I'm moving right now and the tank is quickly moving up the list. Is it necessary to take the fish out or can I just take a little about 40% of the water out leave the fish in. I'm only moving 15 min. away. It could be a bad idea 8O so let me know, thanks

:morning:

I wouldn't imho.

I would get a big bucket and put the tankwater in there with the fish. Then I'd empty the tank for the most part and transport that way. I just don't like the idea of trying to carfully lift a tank weighing over 100 lbs and placing it into a vehicle. Just seems like there are too many ways you could break the tank

1 - tank might not support the weight once its lifted off the base
2 - tank might be placed awkwardly on accident in the vehicle putting more pressure on a certain area breaking the tank.
3 - tank might shift during transit leading to #2 above.

Just seems easier using a plastic bucket to me especially given the short distance.... I dunno. Good luck! :)

I have moved my tanks many times. Several big buckets are a good idea. you'll want to preserve as much of the water as possible. Leaving weight in the tank is definitely a risk. If it doesn't crack like Atodaj said, it might flex and develop leaks. You could maybe leave the gravel in though if your careful. I did that with my one tank when I moved it, but the weight of the water is too much.

I have three 5 gal buckets I got from Home Depot that have the snap locking lids on them. You know, like five gal paint buckets only clean and new. They work fine for short trips, and the water does not leak out. They are great for keeping gravel and anything that you want sealed up, I also use them to keep the next weeks water change in, and to get it to room temp. And perfect for transporting fish. I think their $3.00.

Those do work well. I use something similar. I have several 4 gal cat litter buckets that have lids that snap shut.

As long as you keep them clean, they work fine for anything Aquarium related. You have to be careful how you clean them out. I have a steam cleaner that I use on occasion to keep them clean.

They don't have a snap lid, but I picked up a few plain white, clean 5gal buckets at the local K-Mart for less then a buck a piece.

I've traveled with fish in a tank before, only with a few inches of water though... I'd think to make the trip less stressful for the fish, and safer on the tank, it might be best to carry them in another container... And be careful... I was moving a 20 gal long, had a small snake in it, and was going from the car to the house... I somehow forgot there was a trailer behind the car and walked straight into the, toungue I think it's called, the part that connects to the car... it was night time... anyway, I walked into it so hard I felt like I broke my leg... tank fell and cracked into quite a few pieces but didn't harm the snake...Anyway, all the times I've traveled with fish in the car, I've driven really, really slowly, especially around corners... Good luck...

You can also use a new styrofoam ice chest (the 99 cent ones from Wally World) to transport fish in and the tank water will stay pretty much the same temp as it was in the tank. Then when you get to the new house, just take the lid off the cooler, and if it's going to be a while (like over an hour) before you can get the fish back in the tank, drop an airstone in the cooler.

Then label the outside of your ice chest lid with a dark magic marker "fish", and you can use it for shopping trips to other cities' LFS. . . My ice chest and I are going shopping today. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom