Moving 90 Gal to 150 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kio707

Aquarium Advice Addict
Next week I am moving a 90g established tank to a 150g tank. Need advice on how to move everything over. Do I need to recycle the 150g? I'll be putting in new sand. Can I transfer water from one tank to the other?

Ya put the water from the 90 in buckets then fill the 150 and add water as needed. Why dont u just use the old sand? After the waters out of the 90 just scoop it up. Also, put the fish and the rock in the buckets until the 90 gals is in the tank. Dump the sand in 1st. I did the same thing with my 75 into 150. Good Luck!!!!!

crister13 said:
Ya put the water from the 90 in buckets then fill the 150 and add water as needed. Why dont u just use the old sand? After the waters out of the 90 just scoop it up. Also, put the fish and the rock in the buckets until the 90 gals is in the tank. Dump the sand in 1st. I did the same thing with my 75 into 150. Good Luck!!!!!

Good luck??? That doesn't sound promising.... Lol.. Ok, I'll do that... You have any spikes after u got done?

Its really not that big of a project..I would personally get new sand and just use a cup full or 2 of your old stuff...I have done this a few times and i even used all new water...As long as all the LR and all the filtering from the 90 is going directly into the 150 you'll be just fine

FTMMWS said:
Its really not that big of a project..I would personally get new sand and just use a cup full or 2 of your old stuff...I have done this a few times and i even used all new water...As long as all the LR and all the filtering from the 90 is going directly into the 150 you'll be just fine

I am. Just making a bigger sump. And I'll be getting a new light... Lol. Thanks for the advice.

When I did my 55g to my 125g I started with all new sand. I put in thenew sand, added the saltwater and then setup the sump. I let it run a few days to get any clouding down, which luckily I didnt have much of.

I then moved the majority of my rock over and left some in with the fishies. After a few more days I did the big move with the rest of the live rock and the extra base rock I had ordered. I left a little of the water in the 55g and slowly caught my fish, acclimated them and in they went.

I did have a 3 day ammonia spike though between initial filling with the majority of the live rock and the refugium contents that came from my pod tank I had cgoing. thats why I let the fish stay in the 55g without much rock, to wait out the ammonia.

It took me several hours to get everything moved over but it wasnt too traumatic and I did pretty well.

At least til I added new fish a week or two later and it all went downhill. But thats another issue. Maybe my tank wasnt ready for the new additions so soon after the move or most likely one of the fish I added had an issue. I was not qt'ing then.

Only issue is I have one sump right now... This is going to be interesting. How long can I leave the fish in the old tank with just PH for agitation?

Oh wow, didnt consider that thought.

I have no idea, I'd guess a day. Though keep in mind that your live rock does do the majority of the filtering in the tank and with proper flow should continue to do its filtering. But I would probably move quicker than I did. But then you risk spikes. Are you going to be adding more base rock? You can start your new tank with just that and then move all live rock and fish the same day after you get the sump up and running.

Sorry, I totally didnt think about the one sump thing. I was lucky then I guess that I had the luxury of time.....

Yeah, getting 50lbs this week. I'm going to talk to John and see if I can get another 150. I'm going to have to do it in one day, maybe put them in the QT?

Ya thatll work. Also if you put the water in the buckets put them in the buckets if you want. Theyll be fine for a while and if you want you can just stir the water. 150gs are awsome!!!!!! Have Fun!!!!!

Yep, make sure you have the water all premade. I filled my tank in the course of 3 days or so. lol I took my time. 125g of water was ALOT! And you shoudl add the rock first if you didnt know already. :) Makes for a sturdier base and you don't ahve to take out water due to displacement of the rock and sand.

carey said:
Yep, make sure you have the water all premade. I filled my tank in the course of 3 days or so. lol I took my time. 125g of water was ALOT! And you shoudl add the rock first if you didnt know already. :) Makes for a sturdier base and you don't ahve to take out water due to displacement of the rock and sand.

Got it. My corals are going to be ticked... Lol.. Now I gotta upgrade to the 72" light set... Smh

FTMMWS said:
It can be done in one day,,just plan ahead and have the water pre made and ready

Water is already prepared... Waiting on tank.. Lol

crister13 said:
Ya thatll work. Also if you put the water in the buckets put them in the buckets if you want. Theyll be fine for a while and if you want you can just stir the water. 150gs are awsome!!!!!! Have Fun!!!!!

Thanks. What size is urs?

When I moved the corals I used an under the bed type rubbermaid container and filled it with the 55g water and they all had enough space and most had enough height of water to stay submerged. The ones that were on huge rocks I just put in buckets. I also moved my livestock over pretty slowly as well, actually I think I moved my corals first. It was a pain to catch all those darn fish outta the tank. My belnny and goby sooo did not want to be moved, I had to get everything outta the tank before Icould cathc those two guys. My clowns swam right into my net for me, for some reason every clown I have ever owned liked the nets. LOL

Back
Top Bottom