Moving a fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
My relationship is on the rocks and I think I may be out of here in a few days and I was wondering how I will move my 29 gallon aquarium with eight fish without killing the cycle. Anyone know?

Keep gravel and filter media wet. Don't change media between now and the move. Aeration should help bacteria stay alive but I moved from FL to NC without aeration. I usually take 1/2 of the water if it's practical. Fish seem to adjust better. A sponge filter added to the old set up will increase amount of bacteria if the tank stays up for several days. Unless the fish load is high (the 8 fish are large) it shouldn't be any problem moving the fish and tank. After the move test the water (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) every other day or more often if there's a problem.

Take as much water with you as you can. How far will you be moving? 29 gallons is not that big of a tank, I've moved a 55 gallon from ohio to indiana and only took enough water to transport the fish and I didn't have any problems. Now I have only dealt with african cichlids so if you have other types of fish I don't know what parameters you need in the water. An easy way to move the water is to go to home depot and buy some 5 gallon buckets with lids and transport it that way.

I'm only moving a few miles away. The fish are the ones listed under "My Tanks". I like the bucket idea. Where should the fish be in transport? Still in the remaining water in the tank?

Like p3purr stated keep the gravel and filter media wet so don't completely drain the tank leave about and inch or so of water on top of the gravel. The fish can go in the five gallon buckets just make sure that you use a bubbler in there with them. Thats the way that I have always transported fish and haven't lost one yet. They make an adapter for the car so you can plug the bubbler in to a cigarette lighter.

Thanks, I can borrow the adapter from my mom. Don't know exactly when/if I'll be moving but if I do I'll be sure to post how it went.

If you are only moving a few miles you don't need any bubbles.
There is enough O2 in the water column to last several hours with very little loss. I have moved fish in excess of 4 hours and never lost a single one.

I agree, if you are only moving a short distance, just keep the gravel and media wet. No airation needed. I moved 3 hours away and didn't use bubbles. Don't worry about the water. To them it is going to be like being acclimated to a different tank from the lfs.

Also- remove the substrate from the tank when moving. The weight can cause stres on the joints.

I put the gravel in a bucket because I'm a bit antsy about leaving it in the tank. I'm not all that strong and I have to depend on others to lift the tank so I like to make it as easy as possible.
I agree that a short trip doesn't require aeration but that's assuming it will be set up with in a few hours or so, not the next day. I transport fish in thick Styrofoam coolers lined with fish safe plastic although a large bucket will work just fine. The styrofoam keeps the temperature stable.

i would take everything out of the tank. even if it took some time to move and get set up as soon as the fish are in the new place you can plug the heater in to keep the water warm.

Sorry to hear about your relationship. I would agree with the others, with such a short move, using an air stone would be unnecessary. Go buy either a 5g bucket (can use for water changes later) or a large tupperware container with a lid and throw the fish in with some tank water. Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned it or not but I would probably not feed them for 2 days before you move so they don't fill the bucket/container up with waste. It will just help keep the stress down.

I would get a few buckets so you can separate the fish some and another bucket for the gravel/substrate. Pour some tank water on the substrate and make sure it is submerged the whole time. Also, you could throw your filter media in this bucket.

Again, sorry to hear about your situation! Hey being single has its benefits.. you should have more money to feed your addiction. :)

Back
Top Bottom