Moving everything from one to another

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Razorback01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your replies!

I'm wanting to move everything from my 20g planted tank to a 29g so my plants will have a better place to live as well as my inhabitants!

I have some ideas on the best way to do this while disturbing the bio the least... I'm wondering what your experiences have been to best do this.

If it matters, check my profile to see what I have.

Sincerely,
JP

Main thing is really the filter material. Keep it wet with tank water from your tank. The filter holds A LOT of the bacteria required (as you may know). What do you plan on doing to acclimate the fish?

I plan on moving the tank water and fish into buckets with air stones... plants into moist bags (actually first). Then move wet substrate and driftwood... Then re-plant and re-acclimate fish. I'll probably even use tank water from my established 55 gallon to top off the extra 9 gallons.

I would just move everything over all at once and be done with it. The filter will contain a lot of the bacteria, but so will the plants.

If you perform regular PWC's, then you should be able to just move the fish over and not worry about acclimating them. I move fish from tank to tank all the time and just throw them in.

I moved everything all at once, from a 10 to a 20 gallon. I started moving the water over, using the gravel vac to transfer the water. I waited till there was about three inches of water, then moved all my substrate ( i have gravel), then let everything settle in the new tank letting the water move one to another, then started putting everything back (decor, plants, etc) Then I moved the heater over, then the fish. I topped off with new water, no problems. Oh I used the same filter/filter media on the new tank. No spikes, just a little annoyed fish because of the netting. I also helped the gravel vac by scooping water out. I drink filtered water and saved the jugs for like two weeks! My water cooled slightly because of the heater transfer but no casualties!

Razorback01 said:
I plan on moving the tank water and fish into buckets with air stones... plants into moist bags (actually first). Then move wet substrate and driftwood... Then re-plant and re-acclimate fish. I'll probably even use tank water from my established 55 gallon to top off the extra 9 gallons.

That's a very good plan. I did nearly the exact same thing last week when I rescaped my tank.

here is the result of the transfer... before and after

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 48
I stole a couple of plants from my 55g at my office. Red lily and a large rubin sword. :)

Attachments

• image-3524316547.jpg
    image-3524316547.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image-1422646724.jpg
    image-1422646724.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1948399943.jpg
    image-1948399943.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image-863602721.jpg
    image-863602721.jpg