Moving fish to a bigger aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a betta in a 3.5 gallon tank. I couldn't resist and bought him a 10 gallon. I will move him eventually but I am concerned about water temp.

Right now he has a small heater but I can't remember brand or rating. I want to say it works for up to 10 gallons but am unsure. Everything in his tank is cycled so I can move it over but I am afraid of water temperature variations during the process.

Is there a safe way to test his heater? and how much of a temperature variation and bettas handle?

after some research before posting it seems I have a Marini MINI aquarium heater. The c10 (10 watt up to 2.65 gallons). We have a few extra heaters around the house:
An Aqueon Pro (not sure of the size it came in a tank setup kit)
and a Top Fin (I think). They both have thermostats but seem to run hotter than what we set them for.

Any recommendations? I don't wanna fish fry!

Thanks
Jana

I have a betta in a 3.5 gallon tank. I couldn't resist and bought him a 10 gallon. I will move him eventually but I am concerned about water temp.

Right now he has a small heater but I can't remember brand or rating. I want to say it works for up to 10 gallons but am unsure. Everything in his tank is cycled so I can move it over but I am afraid of water temperature variations during the process.

Is there a safe way to test his heater? and how much of a temperature variation and bettas handle?

after some research before posting it seems I have a Marini MINI aquarium heater. The c10 (10 watt up to 2.65 gallons). We have a few extra heaters around the house:
and a Top Fin (I think). They both have thermostats but seem to run hotter than what we set them for.

Thanks
Jana
I (unfortunately) put my Betta in an aquarium 6 degrees warmer than his other one. He could care less. I would suggest you find out the models of each of the heaters, and make sure not to put one in that is too big, as it may overheat a tiny ten gallon. Good luck!

jlbfish said:

Thanks
Jana

If your really concerned, go out and buy a cheap thermometer and see what temp the water is. Or, what I do sometimes is get a cup of the old tank water and a cup of new tank water and feel with my hands and see how much of a difference there is.

Yeah I just picked up some digital thermometers. On of the heaters we have is the marine land I'm going to check it's accuracy. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom