Moving from Oklahoma to Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moose72

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make this 1750 mile trip as safe as possible for my 55g reef tank inhabitants

I'm moving to northeastern Oregon, about 3 hours east of Portland. No LFS near there, unless anyone knows of a good LFS in Tri-Cities WA?

I grew up in that area but I wasn't into aquariums back then. My friends up there say the only thing in Tri-Cities is Petco, and I would never let them touch my fish. The LFS here gave me some of their styrofoam shipping boxes. I plan to line the box with a garbage bag and drill a whole through the lid for the aerator. Unless anyone has better ideas, or experiences?

Temperature is going to be a problem. They really need to be bagged and shipped. I don't even think petco would hold fish for someone. You my friend may have an issue. 17 hundred miles is hard on fish.

Considered selling then re building down the road? You may lose more in the travel than you would selling back.

I've considered selling, but I leave June 18th and don't think I would be able to sell it in time for what I would want for it.

True, but it's still better than risking the life of the corals and fish. You could keep all of your equipment, live rock, ect. I don't know your build, but you may not go in the whole too much.

Are you going to drive straight there? It is possible if you get a nice bigg tub with a few battery powered bubblers and see if they have battery powered thermometers. Its a long drive, and im not sure how many days it will take but if you really try and do it as quick as possible i think they will survive. Remember, fish and coral are shipped halfway around the world to end up at your lfs..;)

I do agree with nu nu, but it would seem a gamble. Your looking at least 2 days on the road if you hurry and take less breaks. You need to monitor that temp.

Readingexcalibur said:
I do agree with nu nu, but it would seem a gamble. Your looking at least 2 days on the road if you hurry and take less breaks. You need to monitor that temp.

If you can not control temp and monitor then you are bound to lose fish. See of there is a reef club around the area you are moving to, im sure there has to be someone you could maybe even throw a few bucks at to ship your fish to and hold them till you get there.

I know if it where my live stock i wouldnt risk it. Not to mention waste can build very quickly in a small volume of water for a few days.

I've got the styrofoam containers to help keep the temp stable, the biggest issue will be keeping it cool. Im going to try and split the fish up so there is fewer fish per large container to help reduce toxins. Does anyone know approximately how much it costs to ship fish?

Moose72 said:
I've got the styrofoam containers to help keep the temp stable, the biggest issue will be keeping it cool. Im going to try and split the fish up so there is fewer fish per large container to help reduce toxins. Does anyone know approximately how much it costs to ship fish?

That would depend on weight, distance, and however much overnight cost. There is no way to calculate that. You could make a package up without adding the fish and run over to the post office to get an idea.

What fish and corals are you bringing? I mean if they are more fragile i would ship, but if they are some hardy fish i think i would take my chances on the road, stopping every few hours and making sure the temp, airation, parameters, salinity are ok.

Fish I have; 2 percs, 1 purple Firefish, 1 big engineer goby 5 green Chromis, 2 bangaiis, 1 aiptasia filefish, hermits, snails and a few emeralds. Corals; elegance, mushrooms, spongeode, pipe organ, gsp, sun polyps, pink hammer, orange chalice, and some zoas.

What fish and corals are you bringing? I mean if they are more fragile i would ship, but if they are some hardy fish i think i would take my chances on the road, stopping every few hours and making sure the temp, airation, parameters, salinity are ok.

how's he going to keep it cool tho? hardy or not fish in 85degree+ water for long periods of time aren't going to be happy. same with corals. you're talking about putting these things into a car/truck assuming with air conditioning and then what removing when you stop to eat & then removing when you stop at your hotel room mid way? then again at lunch the next day? I just did a 1200 mile move up the east coast with a friend & can tell you if there were fish involved I would have hated my life... the move is stressful enough. try to sell off any livestock you can.
IMO can it be done? yes. Can it be done with no loses(including your hair you pull out)? probably not

If possible I would have them proffesionally packed and shipped by an LFS that offers that service. Problem is, when you get there, they are going to have to go into some kind of tank. How long will it take to get that set up? It's not only the trip, but the delay of getting them into a tank once you are there.

The clowns I know will make it, those guys have been to hell and back. I bought the tank from a local guy who had it sitting on the floor with the water level half way down with no lights, filters heaters or flow. Power had been out for a few weeks due to an ice storm so the water was around 60F. And then shortly after I got them I had an outbreak of ick that nearly killed them, I ended up saving them with a freshwater dip. So I know that the clowns can survive some harsh conditions. The other fish are what I worry about.

You can do it. U need styros and bags from ur lfs. U have to make sure there is enough air in the bags. So try to trap as much air as possible in the bags. One fish or coral per bag. Are the dis going in the car with u or in a trailer or what if in the car u will b good with the ac on. If in a trailer take ice packs. Rap them in newspaper so they aren't touching the bags directly. The movement from the drive will keep the water moving. The only thing I'm worried about are the sps and Lps. The fish will b fine. If possible get extra bags and a 5 gallon bucket do u can change the water half way through.

spoonman said:
If possible I would have them proffesionally packed and shipped by an LFS that offers that service. Problem is, when you get there, they are going to have to go into some kind of tank. How long will it take to get that set up? It's not only the trip, but the delay of getting them into a tank once you are there.

If you read earlier in the thread, OP said there is no lfs on the other end to receive.

Back
Top Bottom