Moving questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am going to be moving my 55g tank pretty soon. Problem is, I have so many little fish it would be almost imposssible to catch them all and take them over in a different container. Also, I'm afraid if I take out the gravel I might bury some of the fish under it when I add it back in. So, I was thinking about just taking out most of the water but leaving the gravel and fish in, and them moving it that way. It will be heavy, but I think my friend and I should be able to handle it. Bad idea?

You probably have at least 50 pounds of substrate, and if you leave 10% of the water, that's another 45 pounds - in addition to the tank, which probably weighs 60 pounds. I wouldn't risk stressing a seam or dropping the whole thing.

I would remove all the driftwood and rocks. Then drain the tank to the point where the fish can't effectively swim from the net. Finally, scoop out most of the substrate. A true PITA, but it's the safest way to move a large tank.

How far are you moving it? Not that it matters - moving a big tank across the room is as much of a PITA as moving it across town. :wink:

well also maybe if you could get 2 more friends....and each had a side there would be less stress on the tank and it would be lighter for each of you....good luck, hope it all works out well :D

I wouldn't risk the chance of breaking the tank. QTOFFER gave great advice on how to get the fish out of the tank. That's what I'm going to be doing when I'm trying to net out 32 fish from a 150 gal tank. Talk about a pain in the butt. :D

I just want to add a little.. You dont have enough confidince in your fish catching skills.. I think you can catch all of them.. then move the water, take out the substrate and move the tank only.. with whatever little bit of gravel thats left in it, too big of a pain to get every little bit of stuff out of there.. Im assuming you would be getting containers of some sort for the fish and the gravel and decorations..

It does depend for me how far Im going with the tank.. if its accross the house I just drain it down and take some of the substrate out of it.. If its accross town up into a new house or appartment I would strip it down to the tank.. More work but less likely to break it..

I was hoping you guys weren't going to say that. What about taking out the gravel and leaving the fish? My move is across town, about 7 miles. I'm not worried about my friend and I dropping it, we are both plenty strong, but I am worried about the tank.

You can scoop out gravel and leave the fish in.. if you want to.. you just have to be causious about putting it back in.. drop the water level and go..

Is the tank glass or acrylic. If it is acrylic you will have to be careful not to scratch the aquarium while removing the gravel.

Also is it possible to use a syphon tube to get the smaller fish out of the aquarium?

Its glass, standard 55g tank. I think I could get the fish out, but moving is such a hassle I don't want to make moving one thing take half a day. If green says I'm good to go then I'm going to try it, I figure without the gravel it won't be that much stress on the tank and I'l just be really careful putting it back in.

Ive helped move a 125 gallon... in that case you have to want to hurt youself before damaging the tank.. but I helped move it with about 10-15% of the water still in it, about 3" of gravel + the fish.. I am not saying that its fun or even possible but it has been done..LOL

My husband and I recently moved all of our fish and tanks long distance. My 50 gallon is a community tank with lots of little fish including pygmy cories and khuli loaches. For our trip, they all had to come out. It was difficult to get all the cories, but I am confident that I did my best and they were all removed. IF something were to happen to the tank while there was still gravel and fish in it, the losses will be a lot greater than if you take your time and net the fish out.

I just finished my move, the tank actually wasn't that bad. I took out about 90% of the water, all the decor, and about half of the gravel and it was not too heavy at all. I got everything all set up again last night, and so far everyone is alive as far as I can tell.

I'm also glad things turned out ok. It is stressful when you make the move, but always worth it to see your fish at the new place :)

Back
Top Bottom