Moving rock after the fact

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm pondering the thought of moving some of my rock around. Right now, it's halfway between the back and front of the tank, so the fish can swim behind them.

I was thinking of moving it all towards the back. Two questions:
1. Is it wise to move rock in an established tank? If so, what is the best way to do it?
2. Is it better to have "swim lanes" behind the rock so the fish can scurry to a hiding place if needed?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, feel free to move the rock around. Personally I'm not a fan of having a rock wall hugging the back of the tank. It creates dead spots where flow can't reach. I would suggest bring it back a few inches to allow for flow behind the rock.

I moved mine 3 or 4 times after it had established before finally finding a scape I like. So feel free to move it. I agree with AquaRick. Don't set it up to where no flow can get around the back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I moved mine around for a hour last night! Just to sturdy things up!

Only in a cichlid or a simularly aggressive tank would i push the 'room around the back' argument because obviously they need the extra routes around the tank.

Moving rocks is easy and just needs abit of care!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom