Moving to Tampa Fl.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I just registered on here because I am going to be for the first time starting a salt water reef tank...so I hope. I have run and maintained a freshwater tank for about 6-7 years now and I decided its time to switch it over to a reef tank. My current tank specs as of now are as follows -65 gallon tank, Eheim classic canister filter, protein skimmer, x2 20000k metal halide with x2 T5 florescent tubes. I am not completely sure about how to maintain a saltwater reef tank but hopefully as I encounter issues I can bounce questions from here. First question is how do I fill a 65 gallon tank since I hear that Tampa, Florida tap water is not so good? Should I just plan to make lots of trips to and from the fish store to purchase water and slowly fill it, or does anyone have any suggestions?

-thanks

Welcome to the site!
I would suggest spending the $150ish on an RO/DI 5 stage 75GPD unit off of eBay. It will save you tons in the future and you have way more control of what goes in your tank and when you change the media. I would also suggest getting a TDS meter to read your DOCs from the RO/DI, that way you will know when to change out the media.
On your lighting, what are the Watt output? The K rating is the spectrum or color of the bulb.

The light that I own is the Odyssea 36" 630W Metal Halide System with Power Compact. Just wondering though lets say I was not to purchase the 5 stage RO/DI unit what would my other options be?

You probably have this one:
2x250 15k mh, 2x96w Actinic pcs, and 6 led moon lights
20K is pretty purple, so I'm thinking more along the lines of the 15K (but I could be wrong).
Is this it:
Odyssea Metal Halide System

Yes that is the light that I have. I was wondering though if I was too not purchase the 5 Stage RODI unit what some other options may be? Just seems that I may not have space to set up all that is needed to run the system, not sure yet. Can chlorine removing chemicals be used instead?

the chemicals dont remove all the unwanted things from tap water its safer to either buy water from the pet store in bulk or buy that unit or a smaller unit wal mart sells some water jugs in sporting goods section that is prefect for buying ro or salt water from your lfs they are 7 gal jugs made for drinking water on camping trips they work well for me and my lfs sells ro water for 50 cents a gallon so about 3 dollars for water on my water changes so if ya keep ading that up and most people do water changes every week there are 52 weeks in a year so thats 156 dollars a year give or take depending on how often you do a water change and how big of water changes plus gas money getting to and from the store

I agree, Prime can be used to remove chlorine from the water. The RO/DI can be purchased with a sink adaptor, so you don't have to actually have it always hooked up to the sink.

Alright you convinced me I purchased the RO/DI 5 stage unit, it will be fun to see how long it will take to fill my tank when I get to Florida :)

Cool, the only thing we require are pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes thanks for the help :) I will be sure to add pictures when I set it all up, it will not be until the first of next month when I start this awesome operation. I am very excited about doing my first saltwater tank, freshwater kinda got boring.

Hey guys I have a question for you. I'm looking at powerheads for a 65 gallon tank and not sure which speed to buy. I was thinkingof getting two. Any ideas?

Welcome to Tampa... you will love it here. I moved here 3yrs ago and it's the best move I have ever made. Where did you move from?

Thanks Caige, I am looking forward to the move to florida. I am moving there from Norfolk, Va. Glad to hear you like it there.

Hello All I am now in Tampa Florida and pretty much moved in, The tank however has water in it but has hit a halt since a part to filter broke so for now its just sitting until I get the part. Then I can get my live sand and rock and start my cycle. By the way I decided the Typhoon III is not for me so if anyone wants one for like 90 bucks its yours I just used the 5 gallon water cooler jugs its easier and faster for me. If I can figure out how to post pictures here I will post some pictures on the process so far.
8wbj9z.jpg

111tr1z.jpg

6pz2id.jpg

Back
Top Bottom