Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmeza707

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey im new so shout out to everyone out there.My question is im about to go buy a 120 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium.The guy is selling it to me with everything fishes included what would be the best way to move them and set up the aquarium again.The distance is like 30 mins. Thank-you

Welcome to AA! :)

You will probably want to take some of the water from the tank and place the fish with it into a large rubbermaid container or multiple buckets for the trip. Depending on how long it takes you to breakdown and then set it back up, you may also need an airstone going to keep the water aerated.

I just did this very same thing with a 115G FW tank. Take the fish out and put them in buckets. Keep the filter media in buckets too and keep it wet and as cool as possible. Drain the tank and clean it if you need to. Move all the stuff to your house and fill with dechlored water at the correct temp. Put on the filter with the media. Run the tank and add the fish back in. Just make sure the temps match so that you dont shock the fish and you will be fine.

ok thanks everyone for the advise my biggest concern is refilling it again with the correct water.could i add tap water and just dechlored it or would i have to do something else.or could i just buy the filter blue bottle water from walmart

You can use tap and add the dechlor in while it's filling. I'm a big fan of Seachem Prime, but anything that will take care of cholrine AND chloramine and heavy metals.

ok i will do that also would anyone know how much salt i should put in b/c the guy said oh though there freshwater fishes they should have a little salt in the water

Salt is useless other than treating for Ich in a FW tank. That is a perpetuated myth geared toward allowing the shops and manufacturers to sell an additional product at an insane markup. JMO.

ok so i should be fine if i dont.Thanx one more thing can anyone tell me whats a good kit to buy to test the water to know when to put the fishes in.What readings should it read to know when the water is right

due you know what kind of fish are in the tank? and what kind of conditions they have been kept in?

Ok so im going to go buy everything i need API Master FW kit.Seachem Prime,buckets anything else i should buy i want to make sure i have everything today since im going to pick the aquarium in the afternoon and by the time i get back the LFS will be close. Any recommendations on anything?

No i dont know what fishes are in as i just what yesterday and saw it.Im going to find everything out when i go today

If you are going to a petsmart, look online at petsmart.com and get there prices and then print out a copy of the product and price thne take that to the store with you they have to price match and there price online is a lot cheaper. Good Luck

Ok so im going to go buy everything i need API Master FW kit.Seachem Prime,buckets anything else i should buy i want to make sure i have everything today since im going to pick the aquarium in the afternoon and by the time i get back the LFS will be close. Any recommendations on anything?

The best investment I think you might want to make would be a Python No Spill water change kit. It makes it easy to do large water changes which are definitely recommended, but very hard to do with buckets for a tank of the size you're getting. You can wait and order online to save a couple bucks, but honestly you may want it today.

If you are going to a petsmart, look online at petsmart.com and get there prices and then print out a copy of the product and price thne take that to the store with you they have to price match and there price online is a lot cheaper. Good Luck

Great recommendation! It does depend (unfortunately) on the individual store though.

Back
Top Bottom