Mulm help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a 6.6g tank and it's been up and running for about 3 weeks. I had added biospira when I set it up. And last week when I cleaned the goldfish filter, I took the water I squashed out of the sponge and added that mulm to the new tank. It settled on top of the eco-complete. I tried to stir it in, but it just clouds the water and resettles on everything. I can't keep it off the plants, rocks, etc. I thought I snuffed out my snails because I couldn't find them for 2 days.

Should I suck it out with the gravel vac? Did it do any good, or was it a mistake in the first place. I have a feeling it is going to be a big headache to remove.

I'm trying to imagine how much mulm you added for it to have become a problem, and from the existing sponge in your filter too?

The usual method is to squeeze the "juice" from the sponge into the new filter prior immediately before running it. That way the beneficial bacteria living in it will begin to colonize inside the new filter. A better method is to use a good portion of the sponge, cutting it to fit if necessary.

You may as well try to get as much of the mulm out of the tank as you can.

Back
Top Bottom