Mumma's 8g riparium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aqua_chem said:
How much is it shadowed by the other terrestrial plants?

20w if that makes a difference.
About half of where I want it to grow. I'm expecting the plants to shade most if it as they grow.

I'm at a garden store at the moment so if any one has any suggestions for terrestrial plants while I'm here I can have a look :)

image-490532116.jpg

image-1130032666.jpg

image-2330867415.jpg

Just got back from one of two garden centers I've been to today. It has a playground for the kids - NIGHTMARE getting my 3yo to leave.
Anyway, I got this plant. I don't know what it is because it had no label but it grows in marginal areas. It's suppose to stay short and shot off runners causing a carpeting effect. I bought it to see how it goes.

Attachments

• image-3542676909.jpg
    image-3542676909.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 112
Yur setup looks amazing :). I was just wondering though, how did u prepare the eucalyptus stick so that you could put it in your tank? I found some really gnarley sticks at the beach that I thought would look insane in a fish tank.

Tcal01 said:
Yur setup looks amazing :). I was just wondering though, how did u prepare the eucalyptus stick so that you could put it in your tank? I found some really gnarley sticks at the beach that I thought would look insane in a fish tank.

The sticks where just scrubbed with hot water then went straight into the original tank they came from. Had to weight them down for a bit until they became water logged. If you found some wood I'd suggest running it through the dishwasher (no soap!) a few times. It kills all the nasties that could be inside the wood. That's what I did with some larger stumps I found. You can soak to leach tannins (drift wood might not have any of it's old) but I never do.

Mumma.of.two said:
The sticks where just scrubbed with hot water then went straight into the original tank they came from. Had to weight them down for a bit until they became water logged. If you found some wood I'd suggest running it through the dishwasher (no soap!) a few times. It kills all the nasties that could be inside the wood. That's what I did with some larger stumps I found. You can soak to leach tannins (drift wood might not have any of it's old) but I never do.
OK thanks!!! And they wont decay? I read on a site that u have to go through a process of drying and soaking the wood continuously for a few months before it is ready to be put in

Tcal01 said:
OK thanks!!! And they wont decay? I read on a site that u have to go through a process of drying and soaking the wood continuously for a few months before it is ready to be put in

If its green you will have to dry it. If its dead and dry already it will be fine to use. All wood will eventually decay just some faster than others. Hard woods the best to use.

OK great. Also, have u seen any aggression from your sparkling gouramis? I startes out a pair in a ten gallon with 8 celestial Pearl danios Ans one of the sg 's has killed 2 cpds so far. They are supposes to be peaceful, aren't they?

Tcal01 said:
OK great. Also, have u seen any aggression from your sparkling gouramis? I startes out a pair in a ten gallon with 8 celestial Pearl danios Ans one of the sg 's has killed 2 cpds so far. They are supposes to be peaceful, aren't they?

I've heard they are suppose to be one of the most peaceful. I only have one in a tank by him/herself so I can't tell you.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I've always read of people keeping them in trios with no issue. I have mine on his own too. Are you considering getting more sparks?

No. I'm actually considering getting rid of them today

The tank's looking great so far! As for the rocks, they look like a good home for some moss and maybe a small java fern or two? Keep the pics coming. When I have the time, space and money a riparium is definitely on "the list" :)

My sparklers have always been totally fine with the other nano fish I've kept them with, but all of the sudden they are chasing my embers around.

Mumma the tank is looking beautiful!

Wy Renegade said:
Leaf structure looks similar to the Forget-Me-Nots that are in my bog, which have a similar growth pattern, but pretty hard to say for sure at this point. If you check out the bog, you will see how the Forget-Me-Nots have spread throughout the water portion.

Your bog is amazing!!!
They do look the same. I'm no expert on plants though. Waiting on pictures of your riparium :) I got a mention! :D

siva said:
My sparklers have always been totally fine with the other nano fish I've kept them with, but all of the sudden they are chasing my embers around.

Mumma the tank is looking beautiful!

Thank you!
CandC said:
The tank's looking great so far! As for the rocks, they look like a good home for some moss and maybe a small java fern or two? Keep the pics coming. When I have the time, space and money a riparium is definitely on "the list" :)

Thank you. I was thinking moss but not sure yet. I've got handfuls of java and windelov fern plantlets but I'm not sure if I want to use them either. :/

Back
Top Bottom