mushroom corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigFudge

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got a bunch of new mushroom coral frags in the mail but 3 of them came off the disc that they were on, and i'm having trouble getting them to stick to a rock. and they keep blowing around and getting lost. any advice? coral glue isnt doing a very good job after only 3 days

Take a piece of fishing line and needle, push it thru and tie it down.

Well first question is why did they come off... I have loads of mushrooms in my tank but never have had an issue with them coming off....

Is the water flow where you had placed them too much???

I would not suggest tying them down.... If they have come off they are in a delegate state and putting needles though them is going to cause more stress....

I would suggest taking the ones that have come off out and placing them in a small container with a price of rock and then cover the top of the container with a mesh and a rubber band and place it in the tank in an area with moderate water flow....

they came off the disc being shipped, im going to let them attach themselves to a rock. ha its just three small neon blue ones that im having issues with. i ordered a bunch of frags to get free shipping. lots of really nice stuff from spikes corals by the way

Show us some pics once they have settled down... But try the container system it really worked for me when I propagated my mushrooms and should work fine for you too...

yeah definetly, i want to get a nicer camera because the one i have doesnt do my tank justice... ha

Practice using epoxy stick. Z's can live along time out of water ie tidal places so do your rock work out of water. Make sure you overlap a bit of putty over the lip of the frag disc or Rock. Mash it into a rock real good and make sure you use a big ol glob!

lol well its a nano tank and i get very ocd about glue globs and the putty everywhere

I've tried glueing mushrooms with gel cyano, and from my experience, it doesn't work worth a darn. When the mushrooms are stressed, they slime, which prevents the glue from working. I've had the best luck just putting them into a small tupperware with a bunch of rubble rock, rubber-band some mesh across the top, and put it in your tank for a week or two.... they'll attach themselves to a small piece which you can then glue to a larger rock.

Attachments

• photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 81
I've tried glueing mushrooms with gel cyano, and from my experience, it doesn't work worth a darn. When the mushrooms are stressed, they slime, which prevents the glue from working. I've had the best luck just putting them into a small tupperware with a bunch of rubble rock, rubber-band some mesh across the top, and put it in your tank for a week or two.... they'll attach themselves to a small piece which you can then glue to a larger rock.

I have never seen this done but would have done this!

I have had that happen to me before as well. Tried glue/epoxy but because of the slimy shrooms, that did not work. I ended up letting them float around and adhere to whatever they wanted, which worked. The problem with this method is some of my shrooms attached themselves in the back of the tank and behind rocks... which did not do me any good. :facepalm:

I like the above method and if it happened to me again, this is what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom