Mutliple Types of Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhorgunn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just curious ... I was browsing Drs. Foster and Smith. They made a statement about clowns:

"If introduced to the aquarium at the same time, many varieties of tank bred clowns can be maintained together in the aquarium."

What's your opinion?

IMO it depends on the fish and the size of the tank. No you wont be able to have several clowns in a 29 gallon tank. I have a 125 gallon tank and have two clowns. I have a gold stripe maroon and a tomato clown and they fight like cats and dogs. I believe that you could do it in a bigger tank but not with a gold stripe maroon. They are pretty aggressive. That`s why I say it depends on fish and tank size.

i have a 65 gallon tank and currently for the past 6 months i have 2 black percs from australia and 1 maroon clown... the maroon host a rbta and the black percs host there own lta... they are fine, the only time they meet is during eating time and nothing major goes on. the maroon was introduced to the tank probably like 4 months after the black clowns

i have a 65 gallon tank and currently for the past 6 months i have 2 black percs from australia and 1 maroon clown... they are fine, the only time they meet is during eating time and nothing major goes on.
Don't count your chickens just yet. Maroon clowns only get bolder w/ time, maturation and growth. I had a maroon clown that was a model citizen for almost three years. Then she started reaching maturity/adult hood and started being agressive and rearranging my tank. I had to get rid of her in the end b/c she was killing corals. A Percula doesn't stand a chance against an agressive Premnas.

i wasnt counting.. but you cant just assume all maroon clowns are bullies.. its like saying all arabs are terorists.. it just doesnt happen

i wasnt counting.. but you cant just assume all maroon clowns are bullies.. its like saying all arabs are terorists.. it just doesnt happen
:confused:That's not really a relevent comparison. That's called stereotyping.
An animals personality profile is a whole other matter. There are no vegetarian lions roaming the savannahs of Africa.:) Maroon clowns are NOTORIOUS for being aggressive and territorial. Read any profile about this fish and you'll see for yourself. All clowns are in the Damsel family, which are also well known for their territorial/agressive behavior. The Maroon clown is one of, if not the most agressive of all the clown fish.

ok ive done my research... do you think youre talking to a 5 year old.. yes they are notorious for being hostile, but every fish has its own personality. there are a lot of angel fish that are notorious for eating corals and then again when introduced into a fish tank they dont... they have been living together for over 6 months now and is practically full grown and no problems.

do you think youre talking to a 5 year old..
Honestly I don't know who I'm talking to. I did not look up your info to try and find a birth date. Comparing people to fish threw me off though honestly.
there are a lot of angel fish that are notorious for eating corals and then again when introduced into a fish tank they dont...
Granted all individuals are unique- TO A POINT. I've heard MANY stories of angels acting fine for months and even YEARS before they start nipping at corals. It's always a gamble, at the beginning and even years in to housing it.
Maroon clowns are very bold fish, to say the least. Period. I gave an example of my experience to give you a heads up. You are apparently taking it personally, and I'm not sure why.

living together for over 6 months now and is practically full grown and no problems
Can you post a pic? I would love to see a full grown maroon, the vast majority I see are all juveniles. Mine was only about 3.5" when traded. I would love to see a 5-6" Premnas. It takes years for them to mature.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom