My 10g planted tank and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 10gallon has being running for about 4months acting as a quarantine/ hospital tank. Early may I decided to make it a simply betta tank but found myself a month later with a heavily planted 10g with a new light fixture, heater. I currently have 3 ottos, and a half-moon betta.

My question is the current light fixture gives me a total of 54Watts (27W each, both 6500k). I don't have any co2 system, I currently have maybe water sprite (I took a pic of it, can someone confirm it for me), ambulia, tiger lotus, blyxa, java fern and a unidentified plant (took a pic of it too and if anyone can identify it for me thanks). I use Aquasoil as well as API root tabs and seachem flourish range. I recently placed an order with my Lfs for one 27w 6500k and a 27w 10000k. Which combinations are better for me?

Another question I have is about water flow. I have an Aquaclear 70 (right side of tank) but then I had to modify the flow due betta. This week I've found small patches of BGA on the left side of the tank, so I'm wonder how i go about fixing this?

Thanks guys :)

Attachments

• image-81342375.jpg
    image-81342375.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 304
  • image-1857855476.jpg
    image-1857855476.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 290
  • image-3764526944.jpg
    image-3764526944.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 320
  • image-531958362.jpg
    image-531958362.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 301
Looks great, I use that light combo without a problem. You could try upping the flow of the filter, BGA could also come from low nitrates. The tank looks fabulous, very nice work.

As far as the lighting goes, I use the same combo (6500k and 10000k) in my planted. Idk about the algae unfortunately

rich311k said:
Looks great, I use that light combo without a problem. You could try upping the flow of the filter, BGA could also come from low nitrates. The tank looks fabulous, very nice work.

Thanks. Ya my nitrate is between 5-10. I don't feel safe dosing it up above 10 because of my ottos. My Aquaclear is already at Max flow!

Do u have any suggestion to what I should add to my tank.

Fishkeeper26 said:
As far as the lighting goes, I use the same combo (6500k and 10000k) in my planted. Idk about the algae unfortunately

O alright np then :) any ideas or suggestion to what I can add? (plants and fish)

Looks great Hubert! (y)

I love rimless tanks, so much cleaner looking. Overall I'd say your tank is perfectly balanced and I wouldn't suggest any additions myself.

You could try the 65kK/10kK combo and see if you like it. Easy enough to switch back right?

As for the BGA, you could use H2O2 in a syringe and dose a bit right on top of it.

Here's a link that has some good info on it:

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Mr. Limpet said:
Looks great Hubert! (y)

I love rimless tanks, so much cleaner looking. Overall I'd say your tank is perfectly balanced and I wouldn't suggest any additions myself.

You could try the 65kK/10kK combo and see if you like it. Easy enough to switch back right?

As for the BGA, you could use H2O2 in a syringe and dose a bit right on top of it.

Here's a link that has some good info on it:

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Ah ya that's a great link! Thank you!

Hmm one thing I'm not happy is the background. I feel like removing it.. I want it to get darker. But ain't working. Hahah

From those pictures the background looks fine. Than plants also look great!!!! IMO I wouldn't be concerned with the background :)

Ah ya that's a great link! Thank you!

Hmm one thing I'm not happy is the background. I feel like removing it.. I want it to get darker. But ain't working. Hahah

What background? lol. You have it so well planted, it doesn't even show.

You're like me it seems, always wanting to tinker with your tank :D. The only way to resolve that issue is to get another tank and build it from the ground up :dance:.

Beautiful tank Hubert, I'm thinking of converting my 56 gal to a planted tank. My nephew has a 20gal he isnt using, im thinking of using that for a spare while i get mine converted. What kind of substrate are you using?

Fishkeeper26 said:
From those pictures the background looks fine. Than plants also look great!!!! IMO I wouldn't be concerned with the background :)

Ya thanks. Haha im wanting to add some plants that ain't Green to make it stand out more. So far all of them are pure green but my tiger lotus. Haha

Mr. Limpet said:
What background? lol. You have it so well planted, it doesn't even show.

You're like me it seems, always wanting to tinker with your tank :D. The only way to resolve that issue is to get another tank and build it from the ground up :dance:.

Hahah ya u are right I love to tinker with my tank! Can't help it. Ya im actually thinking of making my 39gallon a planted tank thou it's a goldfish tank! And by the sound of Ur planted goldfish tank, it's alot of work! Hahah

And The 3G wall is make out Styrofoam, it's so buoyant. I've being meaning to get it silicon down but I'm not sure if silicon are safe with fish. Right now my ac70 is holdin it down! Hahah

molly100a said:
Beautiful tank Hubert, I'm thinking of converting my 56 gal to a planted tank. My nephew has a 20gal he isnt using, im thinking of using that for a spare while i get mine converted. What kind of substrate are you using?

Oo planted tank is a drug! Once hooked there's no turning back! And Im using aquasoil. I have about 6kg in there.

Hahah ya u are right I love to tinker with my tank! Can't help it. Ya im actually thinking of making my 39gallon a planted tank thou it's a goldfish tank! And by the sound of Ur planted goldfish tank, it's alot of work! Hahah

And The 3G wall is make out Styrofoam, it's so buoyant. I've being meaning to get it silicon down but I'm not sure if silicon are safe with fish. Right now my ac70 is holdin it down! Hahah

If you like rescaping every week go for it with the goldies lol. I'm actually getting burned out having to replant/replace plants and have loaded it with more anacharis since it's cheap and at least they eat it rather than just pull them up and play with them like a beach ball :huh:.

If you use pure silicone, it's safe after it cures. So I'd say unless you're gonna break the tank down, I'd just let the AC70 Hold it in place.

I'm already hooked and havent even started yet just from researching this forum. So much knowledge and information, thanks to all fellow addicts........

molly100a said:
I'm already hooked and havent even started yet just from researching this forum. So much knowledge and information, thanks to all fellow addicts........

+1 on research!! Haha :)what kinda lights are u planning on getting u know?

We have several reliable fish stores near by, not petsmart or petco, these strictly sell and buy fish. I trust their advise and will seek them out. Do you have any suggestions, I want to do this right, did you see the photo of my 56 gal?

Mr. Limpet said:
If you like rescaping every week go for it with the goldies lol. I'm actually getting burned out having to replant/replace plants and have loaded it with more anacharis since it's cheap and at least they eat it rather than just pull them up and play with them like a beach ball :huh:.

If you use pure silicone, it's safe after it cures. So I'd say unless you're gonna break the tank down, I'd just let the AC70 Hold it in place.

Ya! I wonder if u take them out and plant all ur plants at once will confuse them enough to not mess with it as much but that would work best if the plants have time to establish their roots!!

How do u cure pure silicon?

molly100a said:
We have several reliable fish stores near by, not petsmart or petco, these strictly sell and buy fish. I trust their advise and will seek them out. Do you have any suggestions, I want to do this right, did you see the photo of my 56 gal?

No but I'll have a look

Back
Top Bottom