My 15 gallon is to have these....overstocked???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking of stocking my 15 Gallon (TALL) with the following :

Fish :
6 : bloodfin tetras
3 : cory cats
10: MTS
1 : mystery snails

Plants:
5 Anacharis
4 Aponogoten
1 ANUBIAS BARTERI
1 FRAZERI ANUBIAS
1 COFFEEFOLOLIA ANUBIAS

Any issues ?? :roll: :roll:

Overstocked ?? also is there such a thing as too many plants? ;)

I'm not sure about the mystery snail, I don't know if they produce a lot of waste, but if you go with Pygmy corys (1") your tank won't be overstocked, just right :wink: !

I think you'd be okay no matter what corys you went with as long as you keep up with water changes.

Stocking sounds good. You can have too many plants if the light is not reaching all of them. If you have a large abundance in one area, it may block the light to other plants. But as long as you plant them accordingly, you shouldn't have issues.

There's another point for wich you can have too many points: During the night, all of the plants produce CO2, if you have way too many, and a lot of fish, you may well run into problems, but you seem fine

@Micheal: I have never ever heard about that before! It's simply not true.

See here:
http://www.hallman.org/plant/booth1.html

CO2 does not substitute O2 in the water like it does in the air. Even if you assume your tank is packed FULL with plants and heavily breathing fishes (if that would both fit in there), the plants use only little O2 at night and produce a lot of it during the day! Hence, as long as you don't use pressurised CO2 bottles or a lot of DIY bottles on a small tank the CO2 will never get so high that it'll kill the fish!

I've read of pond stories where they add plants to help aereate the water, but what happens at night is the fish start gasping rapidly.

Maybe it isn't the same in an aquarium, but i don't get why...

Most times the fish don't start gasping in a pond because of too many plants, but because there is already a great amount of algae in the pond that uses a lot of oxygen at night time. If you then add the plants they might start gasping because not enough oxygen is available :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom