My 180 gallon journey begins! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
WOOHOO I picked up my 180 gallon today! I can't believe it, my Stingray is going to be so happy! This thing is a monster, I can't believe how much bigger it seems in comparison to my 100 gallon. It's really only 80 more gallons when you think about it, but it looks like 180 gallons more to me. I can't believe how nicely designed the overflows are too, it has intake points on the middle, bottom and top of the overflow boxes. They're also off toward the back of the tank which I like (on my current tank the overflow boxes are are off to the sides, it would seem more logical to put them in the back instead of off to the sides of the tank)

I also like the plumbing that I paid $60 extra to get for the overflows! On the return line, each one has 2 swiveling nozzles for extra flow. (check out the picture of the plumbing to see what I mean)

Just gotta wait for the stand I ordered to get here Tuesday and I'll be all set! Oh and I have to make a lid of egg crate too since it did not come with tops. I will be transferring everything from the 100 gallon to the 180 gallon over spring break (starting next Friday) what do I do with the Ray while I transfer everything else to the 180 gallon?

Anyway I will keep everybody updated with pics and information on how the setup is going. Thanks for all the help and info from everybody on here and enjoy the pics! :)

Thanks,

Steve

Btw the tank is 72x24x24

Attachments

• IMAG0065.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0060.jpg
    IMAG0060.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 118
  • IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0066.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 118
Ok so here's an update. Check this out! The eggcrate someone suggested on here to make lids worked out AWESOME! I made 3 sections of 24x24 (that's how the top is divided) Home Depot sold it by the sheet and it was great stuff to use. So much better of an idea to use then the Versatop! Thank you to the guys that suggested the eggcrate. Below are some pics of the top of the tank with the eggcrate lids on.
Hopefully the stand will get here soon so I can set this bad boy up.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• IMAG0068.jpg
    IMAG0068.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 118
jealous!!! we couldn't fit a 180 in our house if we tried!! :( unless fish are happy with 12 hours of light followed by total black in a basement.

I've got to follow you...it may be years but we plan on getting a larger (150?) and installing it in the wall. Post lots of pics and directions :)

I have baby monster fish now, will upgrade to something this size so they can grow into beasts.

I'll follow along to get a sneak peak. :)

Amazing tank....and you have a sting ray, that must be awesome!

Ok guys here's the stand! Unfortunately I ran into a flaw, as I started to setup the plumbing and put the tank on the stand! My 45 gallon refugium tank will not fit through the doors on the stand. I had to take that middle brace on the top of the stand off so that I can fit the refugium tank through the middle of the stand. It sucks big time, luckily it was only glued and stapled so I'll put the refugium tank in the bottom tomorrow, glue it and staple it, put the tank back on the stand and I'll be ready to move the Stingray and live rock over to the new tank! I'm SOOOO excited, I can't wait until tomorrow. Man is it gonna be a BIG job though.

It's actually a beautiful black stand though, I don't think I could've made it that nice even myself for $275! Much more to come though guys, I'll post plenty of pics as I switch everything over.

Steve

Attachments

• IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 74
Haha yeah, that's stuff just their for now because I have like hardly any room in my room because of having the new tank + the old tank still setup. I'll be getting that new tank setup though tomorrow. :)

Steve

Well guys the 180 is all setup and everything from my 100 gallon, the live rock, the refugium and the Ray is transferred over! It turned out great, I got such a great deal on this tank and that makes me even happier about how it turned out! Raymond is doing great, he's moved from a 3/2 house to a mansion haha. Plenty of pics to come, I am still getting my room all back together now (it was a disaster, had plenty of changing around to do to get the tank to fit in the room) but many pics to come! Now I'm just gonna let the tank run for a month or so and then maybe add a snowflake eel or something like that.
Oh and I forgot to mention that the way I set my Live rock up is so sweet, I made a little cave or the Stingray and he's loving it! I made sure to put my tank right in front of my bed so at night I can just lay back and watch my wonderful tank. :)

Steve

Back
Top Bottom