My 180 gallon journey begins! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome! :D Can we have a FTS? Also if you do get an eel make a very tight fitting cover so he can't jump out. They seem eager to get out of their box. ;)

Yeah I have some tight fitting egg crate on the top of the tank (or so that's what I think it's called) so I think it should be all good. New fish won't be for a while though, I want the system to run for a good month before I add anything new. And FTS? what's that?

Steve

Oh haha yes, I'm sorry. I feel like an idiot I didn't know what that ment. Just call me a newbie I guess :p

Oh yes they'll be plenty of pics including a FTS. Just as soon as I get my room all straightened up lol.

Steve

Sounds like a sweet tank...can't wait to see pics. Funny, my son told me yesterday that we should get a ray...I said no, lol. I'll have to show him yours.

Here we go, finally got some pics up! This is a few days ago so the tank has cleared up even more since then. Looks really good if I do say so myself, love the tank so much and my Ray looks soooo much more happy in this 180 than in the 100 gallon I had honestly. Seems like that extra 6" width and 6" height really helped out. My buddy helped me out with the LR in setting it up and I think it turned out even nicer looking than when I had it all stacked in the 100 gallon.
Love the tank, turned out even better than I expected! And with in a month or so I'd like to go ahead and add another fish maybe.

Steve

Attachments

• IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0114.jpg
    IMAG0114.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 90
And I forgot a couple pics of the Ray in his new tank, he loves it!

Steve

Attachments

• IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 94
Yeah actually a Lionfish doesn't sound like a bad idea. Or maybe a snowflake Eel or some other species of Eel? The Ray will get bigger, I don't think too much bigger though to tell you the truth. He's not grown much, although now that he's got this big tank he may start to grow more.

Won't even consider fish though for a couple weeks, wanna let the system run, run and run some more and get nice and strong. I am still cycling 50 more pounds of Fiji LR for the tank, so stay tuned for more pics in a week or two when I'll put the 50 more pounds in and make a nice little cave :)

Steve

I think a fish would be better than an eel because the ray hangs out on the bottom so you've got that huge empty area above him. A Volitans Lionfish would look great in that area. :) Or a Trigger like a Picasso or Clown. Triggers swim more whereas Lionfish just kinda sit there and glide around occasionally.

Oh definitely get a trigger if your not making it a reef. If i had a large tank and it was FO or FOWLR i would definitely get a trigger. Such awesome fish.

Aren't Triggers aggressive though? Would they bother the Ray? If I went with a Trigger I think I would go with the Picasso Trigger. I've heard they're one of the least aggressive species of Triggers. Is this true?

Steve

I'm not sure about the aggresiveness of the Humu Humu Trigger aka Picasso Trigger but since the two don't share the same space in the tank or compete for resources (food) there shouldn't be any fighting). Same goes for the Lionfish.

Hhhmmm ok, thanks for the info. Do you think I should really wait a whole month for the tank to get set and everything before I add another fish? I mean it's not like this was a brand new tank, it was basically the same LR, same water, same refugium.... same everything really. Just obviously had to add a signifigant amount of new water due to the increase in gallons. And in a week or two after my 50 more pounds of LR is done curing, I'll throw that in as well.

How long do you think I should wait until I can go ahead and at least add one other tank mate? I do NOT want to rush it though, I rushed it one other time when I upgraded tanks and ended up killing 4 fish :(

Thanks,

Steve

The water doesn't matter since all of the bacteria is in the rocks and sand. You could add one now but it is a good idea to wait a little while so I think a month is good. :) Also consider some of the bigger Wrasses like the Lunare Wrasse.

Bah a month is too long though, lol. Actually I'm gonna end up getting a Sunwrasse Wrasse. Had one a while ago and he was the most personable fish I've ever had (although the Ray is very personable) had a Lunare Wrasse also and didn't find them to be as quite personable as the Sunsets.

Although now you've got me thinking about a Picasso Trigger, I saw one in my LFS today and they seem quite personable and energetic too!

Steve

You could fit a Trigger and a Wrasse. Just make sure the wrasse is a least half the Triggers size, preferably bigger, so the Trigger doesn't eat it. :)

Back
Top Bottom