my 29g planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
will retest the water tonight just to make sure all is ok and if it is good,ill get some fish tonight. and tomorrow morning start my diy co2 system

they love chasing there reflections. i also think they love having free reign of the tank. they do laps.

btw they are glolight tetra's and the orange strip got so much brighter when they got put in the tank.

Attachments

• 08 18 08_0006_edited-1.jpg
    08 18 08_0006_edited-1.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 08 18 08_0005_edited-1.jpg
    08 18 08_0005_edited-1.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 72
not yet. i kind of stuffed in the holes of the drift wood. if it doesnt stay ill tie it up

couple pictures 72 hours after fish went in tank

img_893043_0_38f5bb999f49c2f7ea3a1dd0c296358d.jpg

img_893043_1_e5d72270bd91564bc0356c564720ecf7.jpg

img_893043_2_1c4baff86ee3ca631dcc9a7f3414df42.jpg

img_893043_3_ea67aa6026dda8202502779a6a52171d.jpg

img_893043_4_42012a5c07d522614e5380a7e6358a25.jpg

i do have one loner glolight who likes to stay in its own area. he will go check on the other fish ever 5-10 mins then swim back to his sppot and hang out. its a semi high current part of the tank so maybe he just likes to chill in the current.

i have had zero spike in ammonia or nitrites in the 72 hours since this fish have gone in which is great. but im pretty sure im not getting enough co2. either i didnt add enough of the reciepe or my diy co2 project didnt work.

Is that a bubble wall that I see in the background? Unless that is how you are injecting your CO2, you'll need to remove it (or at least turn it off during the day) as it is gassing off all the CO2 you're trying to inject.

that is a bubble wall in the back. im using something like the tom barr venturi system for injecting co2. this way the co2 loops thru a powerhead a couple times before finally being released into the tank. would i still have to turn off the bubbles?

If it's just CO2 and not air being pumped through it, then you're fine to leave it alone. Just seemed like and aweful lot of bubbles to be only CO2.

no the back wall is only bubbles no co2. the co2 is in the left wall about middle of the tank. ill take a picture when the lights come on ofmy co2 enjection system

img_893253_0_16d20fe74cf76d43689b11c4ca615003.jpg

this is the diy device i used to inject the co2. its a semi inclosed system to get the co2 to dissolve into the water. not sure how the airbubbles would hurt it.

The air bubbles don't hurt your method of CO2 disbursement, they mearly gas off the CO2 that you are working so hard to inject. Anything that disturbs the water surface (airstones, splashing from a HOB filter when the water is too low, biowheels, etc) cause the dissolved gasses to reach equilibrium faster. Since the equilibrium for CO2 is 3ppm and you're trying to reach 30ppm, this is a bad.

Agree'd the CO2 is working to saturate into the water. Surface agitation lets it outgas back to atmospheric levels.

The normal atmosphere CO2 level is ~3ppm like Joy said.

In a non CO2 injected tank CO2 levels are kept optimal(3ppm) by using surface turbulence to keep the levels at atmospheric levels since plants are using the CO2. Now w/ low surface agitation the levels could drop even lower than 3ppm as the water may have little contact w/ air to re saturate to 3ppm.

You'll see people talk about turning off CO2 at night when the lights are off. Or turning on an air stone/bubbler. This is because at night the plants give off CO2 and make sure that its not too much CO2 in the water for the fish.

Basically a bubbler or air stone is a no/no on a CO2 injected tank unless its only on at night. Some people that dont use air pumps will raise the filter/pump outlet at night to let CO2 off gas more so the fish can breathe OK. Others turn off the powerhead that distributes the CO2 at night and turn on the air pump at the same time.

ok ill manually unplug the air bubbles during the day and turn them on at night.

Since you want to run it at night, you can just plug the airpump into an appliance timer. That way you don't have to remember about it every day or worry about it when you go on vacation.

ok my tap ph is 8.0 and the kh is 10.0 which gives me a 3.0ppm of co2. also my gh is 10.0 so im assuming i have semi hard water?

Probably but depends. If your running pressurized and have the CO2 turn off at night, then no need for bubbles.

With DIY I guess it depends on how much CO2 your getting. I think with that kind of diffuser you shouldn't need the bubbler since you can just turn off the powerhead at night and the CO2 will not saturate the water as much and just burp to the surface. Again I didnt look at your design or know much about it, but thats what I thought I read.

you are correct. tom barr stated the best part of this set up is because its one of the few diy set ups that can be turned off at night

I'd probably try turning it off for a day or two and see what kind of CO2 levels you're getting. If you like the numbers and your fish aren't showing any kind of stress (gasping at the surface) in the mornings, then you might as well take the bubble wall out.

Back
Top Bottom