My 36 Gallon Bowfront Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 36 bowfront that currently houses 2 African Leaf fish, a brown knife, a starseam bristlenose pleco, and a banjo catfish. It is in my living room and honestly just not the display I want. I cant find a fish to house with the leaffish that doesnt hide to much. So the knife fish is being rehomed (may help pay for some new fish) and everone else is going to my dirted 25 tall.

This 36 is going to be an awesome display tank! I am going for the outrageously heavily planted look. I have a huge piece of driftwood now that I hope can stay but it will depend as it is making a mess. I will need some advice on a few things as well.

So equipment wise I need some help. I already have:
Tank
Aquaclear 70 filter
Air pump
Heater (to be replaced)

What I need:
Light
Powerhead (more later)

Suggestions are needed here. I want to go low light no maintance (other than monthly water changes. I mainly dont want co2 or any ferts. Tank will be dirted) LED is preferable.
On the powerhead. I have never used one but I think I need a low powered one because the driftwood boocks alot of current (will add pic at end) No idea what to use.

Hardscape:
Dirt with gravel or eco cap
Driftwood (duh)
A few rocks

Plants:
Crypts
Vals
Anubias
Flame moss
Microsword
Dwarf sag

Now to the fun part. Stocking. Some of you may know I want (based on previous threads) I want a very biodiverse setup. This is it! I have found an LFS to get me everything I need!

Stock:
6-10x scarlet badis (male female mix)
10x ottos
15x neon tetra
*15x pygmy cory*
Lots of RCS
Thai micro crabs
CPOs
MTS, ramshorn, and assassin snails (possible 1 other more colrful variety as well. Suggestion?)
Limpets
And a bamboo shrimp

The * around the cories is because I am not sure on them. I think it would be ok since all these fish have miniscule bioload. What do yall think? I may lower the number of badis as well. Also thought about maybe a pair of sparkling gourami.

So the only question I have ATM (besides what I listed above) is about the cap. I thought about fine grade ecocomplete but last time I used eco I got a horrendous case of blue green algae. Granted it was probably my fault but is eco prone to this? Also would the cories be ok on plain gravel or do they need the eco? What benefits does either give?

Thanks in advance! I hope yall enjoy this thread as much as I will enjoy making it! God bless!

P.S. Here is a pic of the tank as it now stands.

ForumRunner_20131118_105349.jpg

I was looking at powerheads earlier. I realized something. I know absolutely nothing about powerheads.
As you can see in the pic the driftwood covers a large portion of the aquarium. I am looking for a powerhead to add extra movement under the driftwood as yuck is building up under it and Im pretty sure it is because there isnt enough water flow.
I figure the powerhead and the light is as good a place to start as any. What do yall suggest?

That seems like a lot of fish to put in one tank...

Does it? I was worried about that. I mean I know they have a miniscule bioload but I was still concerned. If I went wothout the cories and the sparkling gouramis I should be ok though right?

I think you'll still have too much... :( You'd still have 35 fish, a bunch of shrimp and crabs and them some snails. That's still too much... Or is in my opinion...

I think you'll still have too much... :( You'd still have 35 fish, a bunch of shrimp and crabs and them some snails. That's still too much... Or is in my opinion...

Hmmmm....not sure where else I could cut back. In a 36 gallon tank I assumes that wouldnt ba a problem.
Well anyway I wont be stocking it for awhile. Any suggestions on the lighting kr powerheads?

Well I added purigen to the filter today. I am about to dose some hydrogen peroxide to see if it will kill the algae and......stuff? I dont really know what it is. We will see. If all goes well I will try and find some dirt and then get a couple bags of gravel. I will also plant it like crazy.
Plants I know I will be using are microswords, vals, crypts, and flame moss. Any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom