My 36g Bow Front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night I decided that I was going to spoil my fish, so while at the LFS I bought them some live brine shrimp. They loved it. Below are two links of the fish tank this morning. The first one is of my Niger Trigger and the second one is an overview of the entire fishtank (during feeding time). Sorry about the background noise, Snapped was playing on my TV.

YouTube - ‪Fishtank (Niger)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Fishtank (Overview)‬‏

Wow the tank looks really nice. Love the trigger its my fav

Everything gets along really well and has been in the tank for a long time so I think its alright for now, however, I agree with you and thats why I plan on taking the 4 high hats to my LFS next time I go.

Juvenile Queen Angel
Niger trigger
2 gobies (eat anything and everything that hits the floor!)
4 high-hats (getting rid of them in the next few weeks)

Clean up crew consist of 15 hermit crabs, 1 sea urchin, 1 blood shrimp and 1 baby brittle star.

I hope you have plans to upgrade, the only fish you have that are appropriate for your tank are the gobies, and even that can be dependent on their species.

I have been researching changing to a 55g however I have done research and have no doubt in my mind that my fish are not healthy and happy. I caught the queen angel on a dive and he has been in my tank for months and is extremely happy and well fed. He is also not even 2 inches long, still a baby. I had one previously that outgrew the tank and when he did, I sold him. I would never keep a fish too large for the tank thats not fair to the fish. The high hats and gobies as well came from the ocean. Im not sure what you are seeing as not "appropriate". Just because a website of people said that the tank size is not large enough, that doesn't mean that they are not healthy and happy in my tank. They are all small the biggest fish being the angel (under 2"). Every fish has there own spot in my tank and no one bothers each other.

the tank size is based on a fishs full grown size. could you imagine keepign a full grown hippo tank in your 30" aquarium? or a full grown trigger that can get to 7 or 8" that like to swim?

fish also produce waste and a 36g just isn't enough volume to displace all that polution

I wouldnt keep a full grown fish in my aquarium. I also have a wet/dry filter for a 75g tank. I check my water levels once a week and they are always perfect. Clearly my tank is not what everyone is trying to make it out to be.

LOL. i don't think people have any issue with your tank, just the stock. :)

The trigger should be in a bigger tank however, there's just some facts that you can't dispute.

I'm sure you are super up on your maintenance to keep such pristine water but sometimes that just isn't enough.

The numbers on websites are for full grown fish. She has juveniles in her tank. She also said that she understands that when the fish get too big she can't have them in the tank. She said she already got rid of one queen. BTW since when do people believe everything they read on website's. At the end of the day all the website is doing is trying to make sales and not everyone in sale knows what they are talking about. Just look at the inconsistency between them. If the fish are happy and she planning on upgrade like she said she was I don't understand why all the fish police are out.

a 55g upgrade is no where near enough for those fish either. it's not that they don't appear happy and healthy, i've just seen too many "happy and healthy" fish keel over in small tanks. You also have to remember we get a lot of people that put fish in small tanks not REALIZING they get bigger. We see fish in small tanks, we start warning.

Thanks for the warning everyone, however, I am not just someone who decided to start a tank for the first time. I have had a fish tank since I was a kid and have always taken care of a tank without any major incidents of fish just dieing for no reason. I did not post this thread, nor these videos to start a bashing session on myself. I take care of my tank religiously, with appropriate water changes, filtration, lighting, feedings, and cleanings. I always research my fish and make sure that I know exactly how to take care of them. Majority of the fish I ever own are fish that I have caught myself. Like GsxrD said, websites are so inconsistent, so I am not sure why everyone trusts them. I guess you believe in wikipedia as well than? People can put anything they want on a website and because of that its the right thing? Every fish is different with a different personality, and my fish are perfectly health and happy and have been in my tank for months. Not to mention that I have had these fish before and they were fine as well, when they outgrew the tank and I knew they were uncomfortable and unhappy, I took them out and sold them. Nothing is nearly has trustworthy has your own peronsal research, who cares if a website said its not right. People should stop reading everything they can conveniently read on the internet and do their own research.

I don't recall anyone here citing any websites. We're not new to the game either. We've either been in your shoes, or seen other PEOPLE (not websites) who have been there, and their fish die of stress, or stress-related illness. You don't need to be rude to people who are just looking out for the well-being of fish. No one was going after you, like you're suggesting.

I'm not trying to be rude but I feel like im being ganged up on and no one has anything good to say. I get where everyone is coming from and im sorry if I came off rude and mean. I just wish people wouldnt only harp on the bad.

A queen angel has an adult size of 18 inches and a minimum tank requirement of 250 gallons. The niger gets about 12 inches and needs about the same. The hi hats get about 9 inches (Each).

I don't think people are trying to be nasty, just stating the obvious. Even with some of the inconsistencies in web site recommendations that you site, these fish get VERY BIG. Research?

A shark egg will fit in a gold fish bowl, but why....

Does anyone get that she is not keeping these fish till they are adults? She has said it many times that she would sell it once it got too big for the aquarium.... Just leave it alone and only comment if you are admiring the tank... That's why she made the thread.... Not to have people rip on her tank and fish

Great looking fish they look vary happy and the tank looks good to :) don't worry about everyone else there just worried about the fish that's all

Back
Top Bottom