my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i did some stocking re evaluating today. i had way too many fish for my 55 gallon and did some rehoming.. this is what i have left. 1 pink tailed chaleus 3 silver dollars 2 angelfish 1 dojo loach 1 clown pleco and a common pleco(on its way out) which fish should i consider re homing? i know i should probably re home the dojo loach, but im not sure if i want to, and i could possibly do just 1 angel in the tank, they dont need to school.. THOUGHTS? which fish should i re home?

I do recommend an angelfish, especially if the tank is wide rather than tall.

If you drop that and the common pleco, that'll lower your stocking by a LOT.

You could easily get yourself some tetras or danios, full schools, without a huge impact to your bioload.

i have tetras and danios already in my 29 and my pink chalceus is large. ive heard he will eat them..

O also liked the idea of one Angelfish. My only suggestion is to add a small one, in this way he/she will grow with the others, specially the tetras. Doing this the chances for the Angel to eat the others is less... I have an Angelfish in a 26G tank with tetras with no problems, but the angel started small.

i have tetras and danios already in my 29 and my pink chalceus is large. ive heard he will eat them..

I haven't seen an angel actually eat tetras, but then again, I haven't owned one either. I know they can get a bit territorial and nippy, but tetras and danios are fast swimmers, so they wouldn't be without escape. If you're not comfortable with that risk (as I know I wouldn't be), then I can't say I blame you.

if i only do 1 angel in my 55 gallon, and get rid of my pleco it will bring my stocking % down to 97.. but, idk if angels are better with another of its kind.. my pink tailed chalceus has already been proven to be an eater.. he ate a danio i used as a tester.. he will eat anything small enough to fit in its mouth

After doing some reading on your Pink Tailed Chalceus, I don't know that I can recommend having any angels in your tank. :-\ I don't know how big they are, but angels do have those nice flowing fins and chalceus (by what I read) are a bit aggressive. You've already noticed this with the danio.

I haven't read anything related to angels doing better with its kind. Again, I don't own one, but I can't really imagine that they're terribly social. I've never really seen schools of them. Again though, not an expert here.

Then I suppose your Angel would be fine. Like I said before, I haven't seen anything that says they need to school, though you might wish to ask someone that owns them. :]

In my experience angelfish have been one the few cichlids that seemed to enjoy the company of and benefit from having other angelfish around.

I just bought four Black Skirt Tetras, which are technically community fish, but just had to return them today because (even though I bought them to fill out a school) they were viciously attacking each other and ripping fins.

I would suggest getting rid of the aggressive one, if you plan to add other non-aggressive species. Otherwise, get rid of the docile angel to make sure the one you keep has a fighting chance.

i think hes only agressive cause of the fact that he is bigger. when i had 3 the smallest one was being picked on by the 2 i have now

That is not really that unusual though. When you say that angelfish are pretty tame for cichlids, that's like saying your pit bull only bites some people. Cichlids ARE generally aggressive, territorial fish and Angelfish aren't any exception. They can normally get along well with other fish and their own kind.

That said, you can still get fin nipping and aggressive behavior in some. Especially of they are feeling threatened in some way or small numbers. Sometimes the addition of more of the same kind can reduce this sort of behavior by spreading out the aggression. The problem with that is that angels can get big and outgrow tanks.

Have any changes been made in that tank that may have altered their behavior or have they always been like this?

i did some rehoming to most of my tank, i used to have 3 angels in there... the two i have now would bully it...

Back
Top Bottom