My 55g planted/turtle/fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey awesome tanks guys, I was just wondering how I should set up my tank with turtles and cichilids. In the past I didn't fill the tank up all of the way to incorporate the basking area, in my 180 gallon tank it didn't matter much to me but since I am dropping down to a 90 gallon ever inch will be needed. Thank you and sorry I don't have any advice.

saintbrandon said:
Hey awesome tanks guys, I was just wondering how I should set up my tank with turtles and cichilids. In the past I didn't fill the tank up all of the way to incorporate the basking area, in my 180 gallon tank it didn't matter much to me but since I am dropping down to a 90 gallon ever inch will be needed. Thank you and sorry I don't have any advice.

You could just use flipmikes idea of a tank on top. That may be the quickest. Otherwise u could use my idea and build a platform that sits inside the rim of the tank (where hoods would normally sit) and could design it however u want. I'd recommend trying to find a way to incorporate a light built in to the basking area somehow. Also a way to fit any kind of filtration u may be wanting.

Bryanm70 said:
Both such awesome tanks...One day I hope to have two small species of turtles in a nice 100 gal+ with Malawi Cichlids

That would be awesome.

Here is an update on my tank. I added some plants and fish. There is a school of 10 tiger barbs in the tank now. A school of 6 red glass barbs. My two opaline gouramis (male and female). My rubber lipped pleco. Two gold inca snails. Also removed the albino rainbow shark b/c he wouldn't let me add more fish and was very territorial. Btw I know ppl are goin to say I shouldn't have the gouramis with the tiger barbs but there is no fin nipping and I keep an eye out just to be safe. Also added a small power jet cuz I thought the barbs would like it and they do.

The new turtles! Turt Russel is the dark one and my girlfriend gets to name the lighter one.

The only thing I would advise ( and you may already have this ) would be add some sort of hiding spot on the basking area. Fake plants or a cave. I know basking is for UV, but baby Turtles may be very skittish. If yours are bold critters, please disregard.

Cute Ts. I used to have a Red Ear that hatched into the palm of my hand, a local Western Pond also a hatchling and a rescued Texas Mud Turtle.

Will do I'll add a hiding spot definately. One is skittish. He doesnt go up very much and when he is it's not for long if someone enters the room.

Bearchumjs said:
Turtles are so cute! Let us know what the gf nes the other one!

Turt russel! That's a cool name. :)

Thanks! The gf named the other turtle Puck. So Turt Russel's friend now has a name which is good cuz I got tired of calling it "the unnamed one" lol its alot to say all the time!

I love your idea on this. Any way you'd be willing to list the materials you used to build it? Or did you buy the topper made already? I have my yellow eared in a 75 by herself, I just use the in tank basking additions, but I am loving this set up!

Khalix said:
I love your idea on this. Any way you'd be willing to list the materials you used to build it? Or did you buy the topper made already? I have my yellow eared in a 75 by herself, I just use the in tank basking additions, but I am loving this set up!

Thanks! I saw the pre made ones and thought I could do it better lol. So I gave it a shot.

Well I used some plastic board my dad had around the house. But I'd say u should use plexi glass. Cut it to fit the inside rim of your tank (like a hood would fit) and make that the base, cut out a section large enough for ur turtle to fit through and use the extra piece u cut out to make a ramp at a 45degree angle into the water. Build walls. Remember to leave room for a strip light and filter fittings or cut holes for them through the plexi glass. Use a sealent that's non toxic to piece the plexi together. And use an adhesive to put some felt on the turtle ramp and basking area. I used a tile for a basking rock. Also incorporate a way to hang ur heat lamp and UVB lights if u want. Also if u want to put a small wall around the ramp hole u can fill the basking area with sand and dry plants. I'm actually going to do that myself soon. Make a thread out of ur build and keep me updated. Good Luck!

P.s. get your measurements that u want and have the hardware store cut it for u. Home depot does it for free. Plexi glass breaks way easier than the plastic board I used when u cut it. It's more fun to do it urself like I did but it will get expensive if u keep breaking the pieces!

Sadly one day while basking my turtle thought the 3d background looked tasty and tried to eat it lol, it I had to take it out for now and just painting the back of the tank black. Also I got a sweet piece of drift wood for her to bask on instead of the artificial turtle dock, looks way more natural :)
And I rearranged everything underwater giving it a more natural look

Attachments

• image-2633742501.jpg
    image-2633742501.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2615048331.jpg
    image-2615048331.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 80
Flipmikeskater3 said:
Sadly one day while basking my turtle thought the 3d background looked tasty and tried to eat it lol, it I had to take it out for now and just painting the back of the tank black. Also I got a sweet piece of drift wood for her to bask on instead of the artificial turtle dock, looks way more natural :)
And I rearranged everything underwater giving it a more natural look

Very nice I'm liking it. And sorry about your background! It was cool! Maybe u should piece together a cuttlebone wall that way if it gets eaten its ok! Lol

Thanks for the response! I am looking forward to trying it out, though I will unfortunately have to wait a little while longer because work is kicking my hiney lately!

Haha, I like the cuttlebone wall idea. It's like that awesome blackboard paint. You know they're going to scribble on it anyway, so you roll with it. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom