My 65 Gallon Low Tech Planted Tank Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i feel like in order to have some more growth in the tank, it's better for me to have a Quad Lamp fixture. does anyone here have an opinion on the non-name brands fixtures on eBay? such as this one

T5 Quad 36" 6500K Aquarium Light Hood Freshwater Plant Tropical Fish LED 156W | eBay
T5Quad_2010_400x700_V2.jpg

I was told that the quality isn't as good. one person reported broken fixture within a few months. any takers on this?

Home right and absolutely love the result from using poly fil. the water is so much better. i will change the way in which the water comes out of the spray bar and hopefully the polyfil will trap more dust particles. as of right now it's shooting across the tank. tonight i will aim so that it's shooting downward around 45 degrees

so here's a new question: WHAT:S THIS? it looks like hair algae but i would like a confirmation on it. when i had this driftwood in a sand substrate system, nothing grew on it, but as soon as i switched to a dirted tank, this thing started growing. It's certainly because of the excess nutrient and higher lighting. it's very slippery as well when touched. i hope the pictures are good enough for the proper ID of it.

Attachments

• IMG583.jpg
    IMG583.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG584.jpg
    IMG584.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 112
so, it's been exactly one month since the last update. here's full tank shot. ever since the start, i sorted the plants based on their respective placements(foreground, mid, background). i also try to envision what they're going to look like in the future. but the core strategy has been that i'm going to give them the steroid by providing enough light and nutrients from the substrate. once they reach some sort of "maturity", i will replant and regroup the plants

Attachments

• 20130727_230652.jpg
    20130727_230652.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 92
i know this is some sort of crypt, can someone ID him for me? the one in the middle

Attachments

• 20130727_230542.jpg
    20130727_230542.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 87
also two problems i'm facing: 1, holes in plants. you can tell by looking at the leaves from my amazon swords and aponogeton. this is caused by nutrient deficiency but i thought the substrate i have should cover the nutrient side. what could be missing? the only thing i have not added according to the Walstad method is clay. but i figure by having Flourite as cap, that should take care of the clay issue. so what am i missing here?

Attachments

• 20130727_230509.jpg
    20130727_230509.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 62
  • 20130727_230513.jpg
    20130727_230513.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20130727_230625.jpg
    20130727_230625.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 62
problem #2: i have since taken out the dual T5HO fixture by ZooMed and replacced it with a Quad T5HO fixture. I understand that without CO2, algae will be problematic at same level of photoperiod (originally 8hrs), so i tuned down on the lighting to 5.5hrs, but i'm still getting this kind of algae in the picture. is this the "legendary" hair algae? i have only heard people complaining about it but never seen or dealt with before. other than peroxide, is there anything that will eat it? i want it to go away the natural way (another way i believe is by tuning down the light more but i don't think it's feasible since i only have it on 5.5hr/day)

Attachments

• 20130727_231231.jpg
    20130727_231231.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 68
  • 20130727_231239.jpg
    20130727_231239.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20130727_231246.jpg
    20130727_231246.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 63
time for some good news. i got this red tiger lotus about 2-3 weeks ago. it was just a bulb with one sorry looking leaf. but check out it's progress now. it's bigger than my hand and so FREAK RED without the requirements that those red stem plants need, namely CO2. it stands out amid the greens so beautifully(y)

Attachments

• 20130727_230533.jpg
    20130727_230533.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20130727_231215.jpg
    20130727_231215.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 89
anyone with recommendations and advices are appreciated. help is especially needed for the hole on leaves problem

Looks like Hair Algae to me. What are your Params? Do you dose liquid carbon?

The leaves look to be from a potassium deficiency. Are you dosing per EI or PPS-Pro?

Looks good overall. I love that driftwood! :)

Looks like Hair Algae to me. What are your Params? Do you dose liquid carbon?

The leaves look to be from a potassium deficiency. Are you dosing per EI or PPS-Pro?

Looks good overall. I love that driftwood! :)

no i don't use liquid carbon or any other ferts because this is supposed to be a low tech planted tank for my parents house with minimum requirements and maintenance. i thought the miracle grow organic mix has potassium, iron, etc. which is going to take care of the nutrient issue

no i don't use liquid carbon or any other ferts because this is supposed to be a low tech planted tank for my parents house with minimum requirements and maintenance. i thought the miracle grow organic mix has potassium, iron, etc. which is going to take care of the nutrient issue

Nutrients will eventually be exhausted from the substrate and need to be reintroduced by either root tabs or other means; fish poo, excess food, etc., dissolving in the substrate, which would be closer to the walstad method. If you're looking to stay closer to the walstad method, you should've downgraded your lights instead of adding more. IMO you'll have an algae factory on your hands and sad looking plants if you keep the quad fixture and don't dose ferts or co2. I'd say go back to the dual setup or even less than that for a walstad tank...

Nutrients will eventually be exhausted from the substrate and need to be reintroduced by either root tabs or other means; fish poo, excess food, etc., dissolving in the substrate, which would be closer to the walstad method. If you're looking to stay closer to the walstad method, you should've downgraded your lights instead of adding more. IMO you'll have an algae factory on your hands and sad looking plants if you keep the quad fixture and don't dose ferts or co2. I'd say go back to the dual setup or even less than that for a walstad tank...

Ok, it's a good thing that the quad light has the capability of turning off two of the lights. i understand the nutrient depletion overtime, but it's only been two months and there's already potassium depletion? i find that incredulous.

Looks like a crypt lutea to me, the leaves of wentii bronze IME are more oval-shaped.

Looks like a fairly young plant, the growth may still be too new to really tell... I'm sure you have more experience with crypts than me, but it looks exactly like the c. wendtii I used to have... looks nothing like lutea to me... :lol: agree to disagree, bud. :)

Back
Top Bottom