My 75g (some ?'s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This plant is taking off like a weed! In 3 days it has grown several inches

Attachments

• 1486079550275.jpg
    1486079550275.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 53
Haha yep! I've got milfoil in my tank aswell, I cut and replanted it 2 days ago and it's already almost breaking the surface haha. Grows like a weed!

Ok, so its been a week and a half on my schedule, 50% wc on saturday, dosing every day, plenty of co2... and i have brown algae everywhere and several plants are dying... ill post pics... not sure what to change.

How much of what are you dosing?

What's your light fixture?

Pull that grass out its dead also cut all dead leaves off and remove them or you will get a serious algae bloom

Two 48" finnex planted plus
Dosing macros minus kno3 and micros from GLA, so pps pro

What's your nitrates at? You will most likely need to dose kno3 or you'll end up deficient.

Have any pictures of any other plants? Any bleaching or curling of leaves?

Those are the plants of concern, at least right now. My nitrates the day after water change were about 20

Those are the plants of concern, at least right now. My nitrates the day after water change were about 20

Do you have any stunted growth? White looking leaf? Curled leaf? What's your growth rate like?

Edit: sorry just found the pictures. To be honest you might be experiencing either iron deficiency or a micro nutrient toxicity.

Me and caliban07 have just been through a serious amount of research into toxicity as we were having issues with the micro dosing amounts of PPS pro and also EI.

Do you have soft water? Do you know what the TDS of your tap water is?
What's your GH currently at?
Dosing mgso4?

Yes, some are looking pale and curling. Havent noticed any growth in some plants. Dont know tds of tap or gh or aquarium.. i dose mgso4 recommended amount

It does look like toxicity. Many things at play that can influence it so what may work for one will not always work for another.

Yes, some are looking pale and curling. Havent noticed any growth in some plants. Dont know tds of tap or gh or aquarium.. i dose mgso4 recommended amount

I would do a few very large water changes and hold off on micros. For a week at least.

This is serious advice. Keep your macros where they are.

How long has the tank been set up and how heavily planted is it?

Try detoxing your micro nutrients. Don't dose for a week and preform 2 large water changes. 2 50% changes should be a good start. I would then consider halving or even cutting your dosage back to a third of what you are currently dosing.

Me and caliban have recently been through these symptoms ourselves and have found that the micro nutrients we were doing to EI levels was actually causing a toxicity and blocking the nutrient uptake of our plants (explains why your plants arnt absorbing any nitrates at all)

I currently dose 0.2g of micro nutrients 3 times a week in my 60g and may even reduce it further yet. I now dose iron seperate to a target of 0.6ppm per week. After only 4 days I have noticed a massive change in my plant health and my growth has become rapid again.

Don't believe people when they say it's an iron deficiency.. Toxicitys have the same signs as deficiency.

Me and cal have proven that in softer water (low GH/TDS) dosing micro's to EI levels causes extreme toxicity.

Interesting reads. I read through the first one.. this may have been killing my tiger barbs too... im going to perform 2 50% wc the next 2 days and stop micros for a while

Interesting reads. I read through the first one.. this may have been killing my tiger barbs too... im going to perform 2 50% wc the next 2 days and stop micros for a while

I lost a shrimp and my last cardinal tetras gills were so badly swollen it couldn't close its mouth before it died.

I think you are doing the right thing.

I appreciate you two bringing light to that. Nobody enjoys putting time, money and heart into something for it to fail. And its not like i dont inject co2 and have low light, ive spent a good deal of money to be successful haha

I just bought another pack of CSM+B (micros) from GLA. However, I won't be mixing it until this summer when my old solution runs out. I may have mentioned this before, but when I started using PPS-Pro back in 2013, the micro dosage was 1 mL per 10 gallons. I'm still dosing 2 mL in my 20g tank. No symptoms of toxicity in the flora or fauna to speak of. Yes, I do get BBA and this annoying algae on the carpet plants. I will need to read up on micro dosage changes before I mix up the next solution.
OP - I'm wondering if what you are seeing is from too much light and not enough CO2. You could decrease the number of hours even more. The emperors might be gassing out the CO2 with their biowheels. What colors are you seeing with the drop checker?

Back
Top Bottom