My 75g (some ?'s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought another pack of CSM+B (micros) from GLA. However, I won't be mixing it until this summer when my old solution runs out. I may have mentioned this before, but when I started using PPS-Pro back in 2013, the micro dosage was 1 mL per 10 gallons. I'm still dosing 2 mL in my 20g tank. No symptoms of toxicity in the flora or fauna to speak of. Yes, I do get BBA and this annoying algae on the carpet plants. I will need to read up on micro dosage changes before I mix up the next solution.
OP - I'm wondering if what you are seeing is from too much light and not enough CO2. You could decrease the number of hours even more. The emperors might be gassing out the CO2 with their biowheels. What colors are you seeing with the drop checker?

Hi Fresh. How much iron does this dose give you and is it daily? Forgive my ignorance toward PPS pro I've never used it.

Do you know the GH and KH of your water?

I appreciate you two bringing light to that. Nobody enjoys putting time, money and heart into something for it to fail. And its not like i dont inject co2 and have low light, ive spent a good deal of money to be successful haha

The thing I noticed about the links I provided was the number of overwhelming reports of such toxicity. In each case including some very switched on people they were all at their wits end in the sense that they had got to the point of gassing their fish with co2. They had tried everything and the only thing that was changed in each case was the reduction in CSM+B micro mix before a positive response was observed. Some of those people had been struggling for a year or more to pinpoint the problem.

Yeah, and im glad that im not nearly to that point yet. The articles helped, thank you. I will post updates in a few days

Yeah, and im glad that im not nearly to that point yet. The articles helped, thank you. I will post updates in a few days

Yes please post results.

@fresh I'm just wondering if the reduced target dose for both PPS-Pro and EI (0.5ppm to 0.2ppm fe) are related to toxicity.

BBA was one of the most common complaints with toxicity along with the plant issues.

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest, I have no idea about the iron levels with PPS-Pro. So I searched...
I did find a blog from GLA that mentioned the CSM+B recipe change on APR 11, 2016 (dosing 0.1 mL per 10 gallons, not 1.0 mL). Down in the Q&A section under the TDS question it listed the iron level for PPS-Pro is 0.01 ppm.
Lately I've seen more BBA. I attribute this primarily to the increased bioload (increased inorganic waste) since I added fish as well as the lack of glut dosing.

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest, I have no idea about the iron levels with PPS-Pro. So I searched...
I did find a blog from GLA that mentioned the CSM+B recipe change on APR 11, 2016 (dosing 0.1 mL per 10 gallons, not 1.0 mL). Down in the Q&A section under the TDS question it listed the iron level for PPS-Pro is 0.01 ppm.
Lately I've seen more BBA. I attribute this primarily to the increased bioload (increased inorganic waste) since I added fish as well as the lack of glut dosing.

Unless they have altered the mix of CSM+B that's a whole order of magnitude difference. I don't understand why.

Also according to rotala butterfly dosing calculator (which could be wrong of course) the target for iron using PPS is 0.1ppm

IMG_2510.jpg

This is all becoming very confusing. In which case I think I may have to just start following the easylife guidelines for profito and ferro and go daily EI on the macros I'm going to start that on Monday.

Ok they have altered the recipe or just the amount added (from 40 grams to 28.6 grams)

They have done this for the toxicity reasons I'm almost certain. Anyway again according to the calc for your dose gives

IMG_2511.JPG

These numbers look better assuming you are dosing 0.1ml. But you may need more iron from another source.

Are you still on the old formula 40 grams at 1ml per 10 gallons?

Any improvements in your tank so far after laying off the micro's?

Im seeing the java moss doing a bit better, but algae is rampant.. mainly hair algae, i think, that grows from the plants and reaches the surface. The fast growers in the back arent looking too good

Im seeing the java moss doing a bit better, but algae is rampant.. mainly hair algae, i think, that grows from the plants and reaches the surface. The fast growers in the back arent looking too good

Probably better off replacing the effected plants. What's your substrate? Do you have root tabs?

So maybe i should restart and not add micros to water column

I would. You can dose calcium and magnesium to the water column with the macros or buy crushed coral for calcium and put it in the filter and use magnesium sulphate for the magnesium. I'm still doing EI macros.

I don't know how good the flourite tabs are so may or may not work. I've added soil which will provide some calcium and magnesium as well as organic matter which all protect against toxicity.

Do you dose phosphates at all

I sure do at daily EI levels. Also the soil will have plenty. I dose mainly because I had already mixed the magnesium sulphate In with the phosphate and nitrate and I need to add magnesium so didn't want the new mix going to waste.

Back
Top Bottom