My 90Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One side of the rocks on almost all of the pieces had coraline or some form of algae on it, I didn't use that side on all the rocks d/t my aquascaping. Some of the rock is also base rock. Tested the water params today. Been almost 24 hrs after putting the rock in. Looks like
Ph- 8.0
Ammonia- 1.0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm

Its no where near time to start adding fish, but I'm wanting a dwarf angel. Either a coral beauty or flame angel. I know they are known to nip corals, but I have some friends who have them in their reef tanks and they have been fine. What do you guys think?

kmirtsching said:
Its no where near time to start adding fish, but I'm wanting a dwarf angel. Either a coral beauty or flame angel. I know they are known to nip corals, but I have some friends who have them in their reef tanks and they have been fine. What do you guys think?

Don't risk it. They will turn before u know it.

Take a look at this pic and tell me what you think. If you need a better pic I can try and get a better one. The rock in the pic came out of my biocube. I never had a problem with aptasia, but if you look to the leftt of that tuft of hair algae, I'm not sure if those are aptasia or small feather dusters. When they are brushed they recend back into the tubes, and the tubes are semi hard. I have one aptasia in my 30gal my pepermint shrimp havnt eaten yet, but when he is bothered, he recends all the way into the rock.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111207_021615.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111207_021615.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 110
Same light I have, and I love it. Mr.X gave me a light combo on my thread, I'll look it up for you.

kmirtsching said:
Thanks! That would be great! What brand of bulbs did you go with?

Different kinds. Ati, uv, ge. I'm looking at my thread for it.

I'm no expert by no means and I had to ask some other people on this site before I purchased the light I got. What are you planning on doing with your tank? Will it be a reef or fowlr? If it is a reef tank, then I would say no. Its not enough light.

It's for a reef tank.

Do you know of any other good lights that are a little better priced than the one's posted?

That is one thing I have had to learn, there are no such thing as cheep lights. The only ones I have found that are good priced are the aquatrader.com odyssea lights. I was going to get one of the metal halide systems but have read such bad and scary reviews abt them to the point I am scared to purchase one. The TEK 8 T5 unit I purchased is abt the best price one I have found if you want just T5's. Also, the T5 units are better on energy consumption than metal halide systems.

Great, thanks for the info. Anyone have some lights they want to donate?

What about this light? Is this one good enough for my 90 reef build?

New 2012 model

Odyssea

QUAD 48"

T5 High Output Light 216 watts

Approx Fixture Size: 47.5"L x 7.5"W x 2.15"H

Output:

T5 HO 54W x4.
Standard T5 HO configuration
Dual Lunar module x4. ( 2 LEDs in each module)
Feature:

CE Certified.
Individual power cords & power switches for T5HO bulbs, and LEDs.
HQ light reflecter.
Non-corrosive coated compact housing
Free Bulbs in each unit: 2x 54W T5HO 10000K daylight bulbs, 2x 54W T5HO True Actinic bulbs, 4x Dual lunar LEDs .
We carry the parts for all T5 HO fixtures in our auctions:

Electronic Ballast
Heat resistant bands
and more...

What about this light? Is this one good enough for my 90 reef build?

New 2012 model

Odyssea

QUAD 48"

T5 High Output Light 216 watts

Approx Fixture Size: 47.5"L x 7.5"W x 2.15"H

Output:

T5 HO 54W x4.
Standard T5 HO configuration
Dual Lunar module x4. ( 2 LEDs in each module)
Feature:

CE Certified.
Individual power cords & power switches for T5HO bulbs, and LEDs.
HQ light reflecter.
Non-corrosive coated compact housing
Free Bulbs in each unit: 2x 54W T5HO 10000K daylight bulbs, 2x 54W T5HO True Actinic bulbs, 4x Dual lunar LEDs .
We carry the parts for all T5 HO fixtures in our auctions:

Electronic Ballast
Heat resistant bands
and more...

if you want to get a low cost light I would tell you to get a fishneedit light they have individual reflectors on each bulb so that you get more light then with the odessy. or spend the extra cash for a Coralife 4 bulb fixture with LEDS I like it very much on my tank.

I agree, the odyssea is ok, I have had the fixtures but I also have a fishneedit fixture and it is a bunch better.

Unfortunately I think you will have trouble with the depth of your tank and either light. I have a 90g but I'm going fish only with it so a 4 bulb t5 is good for me.

have you checked craigslist for maybe a used 6 bulb t5 setup or maybe a metal halide fixture? I think the halides will give you better depth penetration if you were wanting to keep a wide selection of corals.

Back
Top Bottom