My acro got knocked over and I noticed these guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Guess one of the snails pushed him over a bit last night and I noticed these guys on the base of the acro. They are very small, as you can see by the lobes of the acro in the picture.

At first I thought they were aiptasia, but that is the only place in the tank where these things exist, and they look different than aiptasia. The heads are a lot more feathery, almost like a pom-pom. These guys are right in some fairly strong current.

I hadn't noticed them as they were on the rear side of the plug that the acro is on.

Not sure if I should let them be or find a way to get rid of them.

Attachments

• on acro.jpg
    on acro.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 73
Looks like colonial hydroids. I would take the coral out and scrape them off. They can get out of control and sting the coral.

I was afraid someone would say that. That's why I didn't immediately glue it back to the rock. I'll have to deal with that later today.

One good thing for the close photo: I was worried that the acro wasn't doing too well as I haven't noticed any polyps but I guess that I didn't realize that they could be that small.

I scraped the buggers off in a small container of tank water and rinced the acro to be sure there were no hangers-on. I hate when they slime like that. Thanks for the ID. Guess they must have been on the plug when I got the acro and I never noticed them. I noticed some bleaching of the coral near the base and was looking after it had been knocked over when I noticed them. They were probably the cause of the bleaching.

Back
Top Bottom