My beauty will not eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knight4hire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently bought a coral beauty angel and he will not eat anything and I have tried flakes, shrimp, krill, and formula one and he will not touch any of it, he also shows absolute no interest in food. He is also a repeat customer to the shrimp doc, but the cleaner shrimp seems to have no interest in helping out, although I did catch the doc cleaning the inside of the beautys mouth once. My beauty also appears to be a epileptic he shutters every now and then. Any info would be a big help. Thanx

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Not sure if this has been answered in another post but this is not unusual for dwarf angels. They can be finicky at first but once acclimated and comfy in their new homes should adapt well.

One thing I find has worked for me in the past is to soak the food for a few minutes in some garlic extract and then a minutes before feeding, dribble some of the "garlic" water into a high flow area. This will in most cases stimulate the fish's appetite. It may not work at first but be patient.

Don't use the garlic too often or increase the frequency or amount of feedings in hopes of getting the beauty to eat. That will only cause water quality issues. When it's ready, the angel will eat.

Cheers
Steve

i have the smae problem

i just bought a black and white angel fish and he is doing the same thing he keeps shaking and he won't eat. I have tried almost everything. The only thing that is different is that my fish is interested in food but does not seem like he likes anything. Did your fish finally start eating...and if so what did u get him to start eating with. I am going to try mysis shrimp because i heard that is what most finiky fish eat. Thanx

does the fish wobble,act as if it has chills or fans its pectoral fins to maintain balance if so they are having chills. if that is not it can you explain in more detail how the fish is swimming?the reason i ask is because we have a great book to look in for the answers. it is called the complete aquarium problem solver.

the fish starts to swim and then its head starts to shake like and jolt, but i see no reason for this he did start to eat a little bit of mysis shrimp and a few flakes once in a while but i cant figure out what the shaking is from

Try some NORI and see if he will eat it... Coral Beauties are also algae eaters...they pick at the rocks constantly...Mine did at least..

does it scratch on the rocks or stay in the jet stream? does it act sluggish?if your answer is yes to any of these it is possible that it has a parisite like gill and skin flukes.

he was jolting at some of the decorations once in a while but never scratching himself, but i think he stoped doing that i am going to keep an eye on him and if he continues to do it i will post a reply...he started eating mysis shrimp and hopefully he will start to eat the flakes that i give him...but if he does have that disease what can i do to cure it

him jolting at the decorations is how they scratch themselves. it's not a disease it is a parasite. you can use a formalin bath.i know there are other kinds of medicine you can use but off hand i don't know what they are.definitely keep an eye on him. good luck.

I have had my Coral Beauty since Friday, and today he just started getting interested in food. He still won't touch the frozen and nori foods, but he actually went after some pellets I threw in for the clown. I will try the nori again tomorrow.

He is also much more visible and active now than he was when I first got him. He was hiding in the LR all the time and now he is actually swimming about in the tank.

Just takes them a while I guess..

My angel winded up dying i think this was the reason. I just bought a fucular butterfly and now he is doing it. I am currently going to try hypo salinity and i am dropping my salt levels

I don't know if you can get this from LFS but I used some Spurinula press on tablets. They are little circles that you press on the glass and all my fish go nuts. My flame used to love the stuff no matter if she was in a moody stage or not. Mine are called Nibblers from a company called OSI.

Jc

Back
Top Bottom