My bichirs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mothi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not really much of a question, just wanted to share that I finally decided to feed my 2 4" ornate bichirs some fresh shrimps from the market. After properly cleaning it, I cut it into 4 chunks and placed those into the tank. It took my birchirs short time to find the chunks of shrimps, but after seeing one attacking a chunk, I realized the chunks were much too big for their little mouths. Next time I am going to have to cut the chunks to about half or less. They both even grabbed the same chunk of shrimps and started shaking against each other to pull off chunks of shrimp. Overall, both ended with plump tummies and I removed the remaining torn 3 chunks from the tank. I think I bought too many shrimps... Bought enough to make $1.50... Next time I need to just order 2-3 pieces. I wonder what kind of looks I will get from the asian market when I only ask for that many pieces...hehe

Can all Birchirs eat shrimp? Will other fish in the tank also try to eat the shrimp? Namely: Angels, Tetras?
Also, can they be cooked already or do they have to be RaW ?

Thanks,
Richie

Richie....

All bichirs can, and will, eat shrimp (at least I haven't found one yet that won't). I simply break the thawed shrimp up into approprietely-sized pieces (bite-sized) and let the bichirs have them.

Other fish will eat shrimp as well. Angels will certainly give them a try and most tetras will nibble at them too. I have a hard time getting shrimp down to some of my bichirs in a couple of tanks because their tank-mates (mostly 'Bush Fish' - Ctenopoma species) are total gluttons and absolutely adore shrimp.

Oh....uncooked shrimp are much better, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom