My corner aquatic world - 174L, 46G.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiJaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I've been milling about and asking questions here and there for a a number of months now. So i thought i'd finally share the fruits of my labour, although i'm experiencing a few problems as detailed here -

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98625&highlight=

So i started out wanting to make a nice Amazon Biotype to move all the tetra from my first tank (a stock 10G starter tank) to a bigger, happier home. I also set out to learn about and develop a planted tank.

I wanted a tank to fit in the corner of my sitting room for best, most frequent viewing and i had a little cash to spare to splash out so went the whole works.

The Tank

Is a Venezia 190 corner unit. I picked up a bunch of good sand from my LFS and set about filling.

tank.jpg

I wanted to add a truckload of bog wood to simulate a drowned tree. So using a selection of three pieces I arranged them like this.

wood.jpg

The initial setup was a section of large amazon swords across the mid to back ground. With Hydrocotyle Verticillata on one side of the foreground, a Hydrocotyle leucocephala trailing up the centre fore/mid ground, some crypto's on the right foreground and a again on the far left. Between the swords Vallisneria was added to give more height movement.

Also on the fore/mid right hand side i had a bunch of Limnophilla Aromatica. With a large thin leaf stem plant bunch (who's name is totally lost on me) slap bang in the mid centre.

A rubbish picture of this first planting is here, taken a few weeks after it was first setup. Forgive my crappy phone camera.

newtank.jpg

So things went well and I enjoyed watching it all grow in. The grasses didnt fair too well so I removed them over time. As things got thicker I adjusted and added a few things here and there but over the coming months didnt really do any major rescaping.

The Limnophilla really grew well and once it came closer to the lights it turned a lovely red. The other mysterious stem plant also shot up and bunched out. Best of all the Hydrocotyle leucocephala trailed wonderfully across the foreground and top of the tank, leaving nice lilly pads of my Oto's to settle on from time to time. I discovered and added a Hygrophila Difformis a few weeks ago which I think I will use more of in the future. And am aiming to source some Hemianthus callitrichoides for a real foreground, carpet plant, that will suit my medium light (about 1.8 - 2 wpg)

Eventually i got around to adding my Co2 injection kit (the joy of my instructions) last week which I think has lead to a few issues with my fish but also prompted me to do my first major rescape.

This time benefitting from weeks of reading and admiration here and the purchase of the three fantastic Amano books.

So...

This is what it looked like on the 20th of May -

20th-May-2007.jpg

Pic is way better then the first as I've got a new Finepiz fujifilm s 5600 camera, but I am still working it out so hopefully i'll improve.

As you can see ive had plenty of growth (all without CO2 injection), but the issue i had was with the mid centre area and the lack of any real depth in the tank. The i felt my corner unit could be utlised better. One of the main issues was with the sheer amount of bog wood I was using, covering alot of the substrate, making planting very hard.

I whipped out one of the upright pieces, leaving the hardscape with an off-centre look. I moved the trimmed Limnophilla Aromatica to the back between the swords (which were also thinned out alot), as well as the other stem plant you see in the centre of the mid ground.

The Hydrocotyle leucocephala was cut back to below the water line and the spare shoots bunched up and added behind the line of mid ground bog wood. Overall you can see a hell of alot more tank, and there by fish now.

May-21st-2007.jpg

As the stem plants now at the back grow in they should cover the heater visible there and waft about in the outflow from the filter. All of which should give the impression of water movement to the left.

Here is a more top down view...

May-21st-2007-Topdown.jpg

Overall i'm learning more by the day. Next to work out is my CO2 dosing, turned off after the running in period last week due to fish getting a bit desperate for O2. That and working on the HC carpeting of the foreground.

Hope you like,

Any advice or pointers appreciated.

Best Regards,

John

I think that your driftwood arrangement is absolutely amazing. It really enhances the beauty of your tank.

great job so far john. handsome growth, and a rocking driftwood setup.
but since you asked for it, i'll try to point out some things that impede the scape ( beware, this is my PoV, and i'm not that much of an artsy fella) -
- the hydrocotyle (a favorite) really strikes out and destroys the nice flow you have going in there (from the top left, touching the bottom, and going up again to the top right)
- the fine-leaved plant in the back centre also stands out by itself. the red-hued plant hiding behind the right-sword may be brought out further to the centre to plug up the hole right in the centre.
- or you can get rid of them altogether from the centre and move them to a side, preferably where the crypts are now on the right-most corner.
- the displaced crypts would fit nicely in the nook in the driftwood where the hydro now resides. that would enhance your mid-ground, and accentuate the foreground.
- i don't what to do with it, but the small piece of wood in the centre is too centered.
- and last but not the least, the heater can easily go behind the upright arm of the driftwood.

triazole said:
great job so far john. handsome growth, and a rocking driftwood setup.
but since you asked for it, i'll try to point out some things that impede the scape ( beware, this is my PoV, and i'm not that much of an artsy fella) -
- the hydrocotyle (a favorite) really strikes out and destroys the nice flow you have going in there (from the top left, touching the bottom, and going up again to the top right)
- the fine-leaved plant in the back centre also stands out by itself. the red-hued plant hiding behind the right-sword may be brought out further to the centre to plug up the hole right in the centre.
- or you can get rid of them altogether from the centre and move them to a side, preferably where the crypts are now on the right-most corner.
- the displaced crypts would fit nicely in the nook in the driftwood where the hydro now resides. that would enhance your mid-ground, and accentuate the foreground.
- i don't what to do with it, but the small piece of wood in the centre is too centered.
- and last but not the least, the heater can easily go behind the upright arm of the driftwood.

Thanks for the comments so far....

Trizole - Thanks for the advice.

Yeah i see what you mean, it does make a nice centre peice plant thou. I'll look at where to shift it (maybe behind that mid ground raised arm of the driftwood) when i get my foreground carpet plants in.

Its the same plant, just cut stems of Limnophilla Aromatica some of which got within 1 ft of my lights and turned red. They were planted to fill the gap and already another inch taller. The mysterious unnamed stem plant was cut back a little more and is just behind it so should also fill out the gap. It is the one that on my first recent picture fill's the entire of the overexposed top centre. So should plug the gap nicely and hide all the fittings.

Because its a corner tank i'm aiming to keep most of the foreground as clear view space, i learned from the first planting you really loose alot of the visible tank space by putting tall plants anywhere but the mid to bank.

There is a funky little cave in the wood underneight the hydrocotyle not quite visible on these pictures. It allows me to see where the Tiger Plec has been hiding for the last 3 months and into the back base of the tank. I'll take a pic and show you all.

Yeah i've been mulling on that, unfortunatly the entire base but of wood is one peice. Infact there are only two whole bits of bog wood in the entire tank. The upright bit in the back that has a substantial base, and the horizontal bit with the raise arm in the mid ground. The third "truck" which rested on the remaining trunk i removed in the last rescape to give more swimming and planting room.

- and last but not the least, the heater can easily go behind the upright arm of the driftwood

There is a CO2 diffuser, PH monitor and Heater along that back wall that all need to be moved around. But should all eventually be covered by the stem plant growth. - I hope.

Purrbox has pointed me to Marsilea dwarf species as a better alternative to my initial HC foreground carpet thoughts. When I get my hands on some i'm aiming to have it all accross the forground, amoung the Hydrocotyle Verticillata and maybe if it does well flowing over the middle of the central strut of wood.

Beyond that I have Java moss on the upright sections of both bog wood peices that is slowly spreading. Any tips on the best methods of use of the moss would be appreciated. Currently its wedged into a few anchouring cracks and floating from there.

Best Regards,

John

great!
a nice foreground would really spruce things up.
looking forward to updates - but no hurry.....

Hi,

Its been a long while since i updated this and since i'm coming up for my 1 year "planted tank" birthday i thought i'd fill you all in on the year past.

I'll add some more comments tomorrow, but from the pictures you can pretty much get a feeling of the highs and lows of the past year of this tank and my experiences.

---------------------

img_842507_0_18014bbf04a3f8272ecb4b025145f81e.jpg

5th July 2007

img_842507_1_c0c9464eccb1d13099dea76fb3f11a1d.jpg

18th July 2007 - Came back from my holiday to this

img_842507_2_fc37a920ddcb7263f6da15ee1670bb58.jpg

15th August 2007

img_842507_3_043c8dd7a40c9d31182c273dd1570470.jpg

21st September 2007

img_842507_4_fbab055f51a4ea6c8551b72c2b83229a.jpg

26th October 2007

img_842507_5_26a27c92edca83dc10cbe8e750ee8081.jpg

21st November 2007

img_842507_6_526b7b64e3ecbcc6c5ee2791f6690abe.jpg

27th November 2007

img_842507_7_c54e564b1e3264aad6df6591f410a141.jpg

16th January 2007

------------------

A good game to play here would be -

1. guess when i got BBA
2. guess when i turned on the pressurised CO2
3. guess when i sorted my dosing
4. guess when i got BGA

I'll post some more tomorrow,

Your comments great appreciated.

Best Regards,

John

I don't know about the algae but I'd say you started dosing and adding CO2 at the end of October. Very nice tank.

Hi,

To answer my own questions a bit, i got bba from august to september and then finally turned on my CO2. This then caused more defincies in nutrients as the plants grow faster, making the BBA worse.

So i sorted out my dosing (somewhat) when I also added the eco complete as I was getting root rot due to the sand substrate and the new lower ph (6.2).

I also invested in a whole new set of plants as you can see.

Unfortunatly either an inbalance in my dosing or something else has lead to the corrisponding growth of BGA across the tank.

I'm currently struggling to get rid of it by upping my Nitrates and using blackouts. But its taking its toll on the plants. Alot are now stunted and dieing off. I'm on the verge of giving up in the dwarf clover carpet and using the dwarf soft rush, which seems to cope with the BGA better, as my ground cover.

Currently i'm trying to import Maracyn (erithromiycin) into the UK from various USA e-bay sellers. Its Jac 0, UK Customs 1 so far.

A few more pictures.

img_842991_0_6f21e71037dbd5112ab568179b632552.jpg

5th July - Tank in my living room.

img_842991_1_e41de14fa02d42ee089fddad4e46e785.jpg

18th July - Close up of the overfeeding mess.

img_842991_2_e25227b24b36ef71d4cae1bfcb6ae029.jpg

27th November - Top down view - Note the BGA eating my dwarf clover

img_842991_3_393f7776d994da358bbafa851772114b.jpg

28th December - Red Tiger Lotus

img_842991_4_04014c369d256a7397b577905d9f3c4c.jpg

16th Jan - Top down view

img_842991_5_b1ffc14ae22930d94cf89ee77a4df09d.jpg

16th Jan - Mr Blue Ram (he likes getting his photo taken)

img_842991_6_1ca1c3417c69ae3a68bef4906a695068.jpg

16th Jan - Side View - The corner tank has some great viewing angles.

--------

On the BGA note, i'm half thinking the problems i'm having relate to using EI and lower light tank (i'm running about 2wpg equivalant). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jac

Very nice looking scape. The Lotus really sticks out, but man I don't like it in my tank. You always have to prune it daily. PITA

As for the BGA have you thought about medicating the tank with erythomyacin?

Very nice looking scape. The Lotus really sticks out, but man I don't like it in my tank. You always have to prune it daily. PITA

As for the BGA have you thought about medicating the tank with erythomyacin?

As i mentioned above, i'm trying to get it as i've read alot of good things about the combination of blackout then medicating. Unfortunatly the sale of antibiotics in the UK, even for animals, is restricted, so no where sells it.

I am currently trying to buy from several sources in the US to see if some can slip past customs checks. I've read this is the only way to get it in the uk other then from vets, which would start at a vets bill of over $80.

The BGA is getting me down on the planted tank thing. Oddly i'm finding it harder on the scape the BBA. Its just killing plants slowly now.

Jac

Back
Top Bottom